Author Topic: mower steering  (Read 6024 times)

Offline mowerracer828

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
mower steering
« on: February 03, 2009, 09:14:05 am »
i just built a racin mower, and the steering setup i was using started to slip, i would like to put a different setup on it, is there a small enough right angle gear box out there? is the a go-kart steering box? i would put a direct steerong on it but that is not possible, thanks for any help

heres a link to the steering i am using now: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-167902-AYP-&-Sears%2FCraftsman-Steering-Assembly_W0QQitemZ280304254075QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090120?IMSfp=TL090120119006r12876
Tyler Dietrich

Offline Ty

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: mower steering
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 12:59:13 pm »
i just built a racin mower, and the steering setup i was using started to slip, i would like to put a different setup on it, is there a small enough right angle gear box out there? is the a go-kart steering box? i would put a direct steerong on it but that is not possible, thanks for any help

heres a link to the steering i am using now: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-167902-AYP-&-Sears%2FCraftsman-Steering-Assembly_W0QQitemZ280304254075QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090120?IMSfp=TL090120119006r12876
Why can't you go with direct steering?
Ty Rindt
BSMRA - Sportsman
2010 BSMRA Sportsman Champion
2010 BSMRA Most Improved Driver of the Year
2010 2nd ARMA Sportsman MidWest regional points

Offline mowerracer828

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 02:10:18 pm »
a guy help me build it and he insisted on this steering so the front end has been welded in place and my chassis is extended.
Tyler Dietrich

Offline amr5080

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 02:42:33 pm »
how about a rack and pinion setup
Aaron Rupert
Rupert Racing
Pro-x #14
Burris Racing Tires
"There are three easy ways of losing money - racing is the quickest, women the most pleasant, and farming the most certain."
Lord Amherst

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 05:56:44 pm »
I don't know who it is that insisted you use that piece of junk, but I believe I would not follow his advice again.
I love craftsman mowers, and I hate direct steering, but that set-up is probably the worst you can use. The gears are very cheap pot metal and break easily!
Both MTD and Murray have steering with steel gears that hold up well with some modifications.
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline mowerracer828

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 07:37:29 pm »
well the craftmen steering you can spline it so the shaft can be any direction.  :(
Tyler Dietrich

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 09:34:16 am »
Really no reason that set up can't be modified even with the front end welded in place. It may require moving the steering arm on the front end from top to bottom, but the same through-frame steering shaft and pitman arm concept that George uses on his mower should work there without a great deal of hassle. Check out George's builds in the build section and give it some thought. Those gears on your steering are not alotogether cool in racing; they're slower than direct steering, they're subject to wear and tear, and the gears themselves can and do break  leaving you without steering.

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 10:09:18 pm »
The craftsman gears just are not made of good material, I raced them for one weekend and broke 2 teeth off. I didn't hit anything or cause any other excessive stress other than racing.
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com