Author Topic: peerless 3 sp  (Read 4245 times)

Offline bountyhunter

• Ferris Michigan
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
  • 3 WIDE RACING #1 ,#19 ,#0x & the #55
    • View Profile
peerless 3 sp
« on: January 08, 2009, 02:23:35 pm »
Guys are the peerless 3 speeds any good the ones thst look like the 700,s

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Re: peerless 3 sp
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 02:40:07 pm »
Are you sure it's a peerless and not an H pattern Foote...?
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline bountyhunter

• Ferris Michigan
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 02:51:43 pm »
dont think there fooote know one has tecumsay on top and havent had chance to clean top off of other one yet. they  shift and look just like 700 models will try and get pics and model #s when I get Chance

Offline Wise_Guy_racing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Wise Guy Racing Southern Style
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 04:00:30 pm »
I got the 3 speed peerless and it works great
Wise Guy Racing Southern Style

#78 Grasscar Mini Late Model
   Wizard Chassis
#713 Building for 2013

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 04:56:50 pm »
It may be a Peerless 500; those I believe were offered in 3 speed, and the case is essentially identical to the 700, however there are some slight variations in the two. There's a thread around here someplace comparing the 700 to the 500, where I offered pictures of both side by side. The 500 is a solid transmission, however I don't believe parts are available for those any longer, and internally there are a substantial number of differences in the 500 and 700 internally. As best I recall the ID tag on the 500 was riveted on the side of the case in place of normal location on the 700s.

Somewhere way back in time, Peerless did make a 700 3 speed. Question has arisen on the board here before, and in discussion a parts diagram was offered on that model. They do not however show up on the regular list of Peerless 700s that we normally reference herein. That one instance is the only place I've seen reference material on them.

Likewise, some model 700s may have incorporated spacers to alter the typical Peerless 5 speed to run only 3 speeds, by OEM request. The only way to tell there would be to disassemble and clean it up to see. 

If you do have one of the 700 3 speeds, it would be cool to see pictures of the internal components to see how they compare to the regular 700.   

Offline twigs-scrapiron

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 05:56:00 pm »
I have 2 of those transmissions, they are quite similar, except the gears are much wider than the 5 speeds - the 3 gears make up the width of what the 5 normally do, but the shaft is different, and the keys aren't bent up so go into the gears, they are flat, and have squares at the end instead of triangles.

Offline pjhusske

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 09:42:18 pm »
I am running a 3 speed on my wifes SS. I like it alot. I got to clean it one day I will try to get pic. for you..
PJ Husske

Offline Ironmike

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 10:35:57 pm »
I have 2 of those transmissions, they are quite similar, except the gears are much wider than the 5 speeds - the 3 gears make up the width of what the 5 normally do, but the shaft is different, and the keys aren't bent up so go into the gears, they are flat, and have squares at the end instead of triangles.

Sounds like a 500 with the square keys

IronMike
"Money Runs"
Iron Mike
#392 Ap

Offline bountyhunter

• Ferris Michigan
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 11:01:31 am »
Thanks Rocky will try and tare them down this week yep got 2 of them. I know 1 has techumsey on top and other one looked more like v700 on top.any way will try and post pics!

Offline jerb

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 02:48:52 am »
while im on the tranny thinking thing, yes peerless does offer a 3 speed 700, part #700-033, its identical to a 5 speed except for spacers for 4th and 5th gear, and the internal ratios are a tad different too! 3rd gear in these trannys use the 25/25 gear set, but 2nd gear is different than 3rd in a 4-speed!! my buddy took the gears out of an 800 transaxle and made this a 4 speed, be fore warned before ordering one of these, for starters, the #700-023 is about $20 cheaper, the 023 has a four shift key shaft, steel input and bevel gear (which are $90 if ordered seperately), the 033 uses a 2 key shaft, cast input and bevel gear, which will work fine for stock engine classes, but not major HP, the 023 that ec sells for $250 is a bargain, if nothing else, they have to clean the bentonite out of them, which is worth $20 in my book, also the input seals are $8, just some info i thought i would share!!
well after reading original post again, i realize they were talking about an h-pattern 3 speed, yes the parts diagram shows them, but i have yet to see one of these critters, somebody post some pics of one of these!!!!
Tim Jerby
2010 round 2 monster energy drink mod-x champion
2009 mowfast mod-x champion
2009 mowfast sportsman runner-up
Coming soon...super mod twin!

anything