Author Topic: just getting started  (Read 212737 times)

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: just getting started
« Reply #240 on: December 19, 2010, 07:26:19 pm »
I did a bit of drawing today for my clutch setup, initial measurements and such, Sourced some needle bearings to use as well. Just need to make sure that I can include a way to keep them lubricated. After careful consideration even though the damping is not needed for function , and though it is more complicated, I need to keep the original setup for strength. I hope to finish up the drawings in a couple of days.
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 23, 2010, 05:56:11 pm »
I went to the scrap yard today  with my pops to get a a chunk of aluminum to machine for my clutch setup, went through the pile ended up with 46 pounds of misc scrap. We went to pay for it, and the owner of the scrap yard wished us a Merry Christmas and sent us on our way. SCORE! One of those "chunks" is now at the water jet place to be cut into 5 1/2"round stock. Anyway Merry Christmas everybody!
Tim Johnson

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 23, 2010, 08:03:49 pm »
Those are the best kind of finds
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 28, 2010, 05:17:44 pm »
My neice is home for the holidays, she's a sophomore, in Mechanical Engineering at Texas A&M. Anyway I drew up the initial clutch setup design in turbocad. The last couple of days I had her draw up the design in Inventor. Sure wish that I had it. Anyway here is the basic idea. Hope to get my aluminum pieces back from the waterjet place and start making the pieces soon.

I think it came out great, and it's good practice for her too.
Tim Johnson

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 28, 2010, 08:35:02 pm »
Thats pretty slick Tim. What have you come up with to disengage it. What keeps pressure on the frictions and steels. I assume there are a series of small coil springs in there some where.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 28, 2010, 09:12:46 pm »
Thank you Dennis, I know it's not the norm! Only time will tell if it works ok .

Using the original clutch disc and pressure plate setup, Most likely gonna have to use stiffer springs. Gearbox shaft goes all the way through this assembly. The clutch mounts to shaft just like it originally mounted. Needle bearing inside sleeve, and thrust bearing at the top of the assembly held in place by a shaft collar. Clutch shield will provide mount for the clutch release mechanism. Will be a cam type activator.

Tim
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 01, 2011, 09:36:15 pm »
No pix but picked up my aluminum pieces from the waterjet place on Thursday. My pops worked on the two pieces for the clutch assembly, yesterday and today, made some good progress. I'm gonna have to get a boring bar for my mill to finish up the aluminum piece. When its finished and together will have to get a shaft made for the gearbox with splines on the end for the pressure plate of the clutch. Someday soon I need to start making parts on the lathe myself.
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 05, 2011, 09:05:52 pm »
Busy on other stuff lately but a bit of progress today. My pops finished up the pieces on the lathe. I now have to mount all of the pieces together and mill holes to mount the aluminum piece to the clutch basket. Then a new shaft for the gear box.
Pix of progress below

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 10, 2011, 10:53:13 pm »
My pops and I worked on the clutch today. He made some pieces on the lathe to center the holes on the original gear. It worked out well. Just have to bore out the holes now to 1.100" The next process is new to both of us and that is offsetting the piece on the lathe to bore the holes, I was going to do it on the mill with a boring bar but cant really afford to get one right now. 4 jaw chuck or face plate? Have to set it up I guess to see which will work better. Snow still on the ground here more progress tomorrow I hope.

Tim Johnson

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #249 on: January 10, 2011, 11:35:49 pm »
A face plate made correctly would be easier, after dialing in once you could rotate the part for the rest of the bore.
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 11, 2011, 08:55:31 pm »
Heres what we decided to do. We had a wheel hub that we had made an error in drilling can't really use it so we are going to use it as a "face plate". Mount the clutch plate on it offset. Making a collar for the center hole to bolt it through to the plate. Can rotate for each hole. Thanks Rooster for the tip. The piece sticking out in the second pix will mount in chuck in tailstock to make sure the hole is centered.

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 14, 2011, 07:25:26 pm »
We finished up the set up on the lathe for the clutch piece and finished the piece with the exception of some holes, the piece fits great on the clutch basket.

Setup

clutch piece

The aluminum piece will be mounted  to the clutch basket with six #8 screws gonna use stainless steel screws a little stronger than regular old machine screws.
Tim Johnson

Offline plowboy6602

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 14, 2011, 07:55:55 pm »
what kind of motor are u using?
you can fix anything with WD-40 and duct tape :)

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 14, 2011, 08:16:56 pm »
what kind of motor are u using?

Plan is to use kohler cv-14s resleeved to 90mm basically making it a cv-16 ( not positive yet that I can do this), billet rod, forged piston, steel flywheel, from midwest super cub, k-series 30 carb, stock valves/rockers, stiffer valve springs, cam from Isky.
Tim Johnson

Offline cubcadet70

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 14, 2011, 11:23:03 pm »
take a pic of the cam from isky! i want to see his quality work! i got a cam being made right now from him for my kohler 8hp alter and its still at his shop will be done in a month! cant wait! its a billet cam!

anything