Author Topic: just getting started  (Read 212786 times)

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: just getting started
« Reply #180 on: November 05, 2010, 07:16:45 pm »
Worked on the piece for the shifter pattern. Made a "pattern" out of poster board, transferred this to a piece of diamond plate with spray paint, and machined it. It came out well but I still have to drill the mounting holes and round it a bit to fit the contour of the fenders. I'm not sure how that im gonna accomplish this. I have an idea but what do you guys think?

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 06, 2010, 07:42:30 pm »
cut slots in my round bar for my wheelie bars. I had one more pass with the 3/16" end mill before I was gonna pull it to get it sharpened. Snapped the durned thing off. I Guess it was duller than I thought.

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 10, 2010, 09:18:59 pm »
Made a pattern for my inner fender wells today while waiting for my endmill, I will hopefully get them fabbed up the next couple of days, and bolted in.

Tim Johnson

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 12, 2010, 09:34:59 am »
... It came out well but I still have to drill the mounting holes and round it a bit to fit the contour of the fenders. I'm not sure how that im gonna accomplish this. I have an idea but what do you guys think?

Sand bag and soft mallet...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 12, 2010, 10:56:08 am »
Sand bag and soft mallet...

Thats a great idea I never thought of that seems like it would work great!

Thanks Randy
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 20, 2010, 10:51:19 pm »
Finally made a little progress on the wheelie bars, finished most of the slots, have a couple more to do, finish them up when I get the measurement on them.. pix of progress below.

I picked up the inner fenders yesterday. They did an excellent job. I have had all of my sheet metal bent and cut for the fenders by an air conditioning company. The owner is a good friend of my pops. All of it has been no charge so they definately have some free advertising comin their way.

I hope to make some more progress tomorrow
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 23, 2010, 08:27:59 pm »
Tacked the wheelie bars together today. I'm pretty happy with the way that they came out. I just have one small issue, one wheel is about 3/16" higher. Its fixable but how important is it that they are exactly the same it's not a 6 sec prostock car, and it is in dirt!

Tim Johnson

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 23, 2010, 08:31:27 pm »
Tim I dont think anyone will point it out to you. I wont hurt it. But if you want it perfect then go ahead. I have a spot on my tube chassis that is off alittle. Cant see it. Have to measure it. And I built my chassis on a steel plate just to keep it straight.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 23, 2010, 08:38:02 pm »
Tim I dont think anyone will point it out to you. I wont hurt it. But if you want it perfect then go ahead. I have a spot on my tube chassis that is off alittle. Cant see it. Have to measure it. And I built my chassis on a steel plate just to keep it straight.

Thanks Dennis. I'm pretty picky but It meets all of the rules so I think I will leave it this time. Probably spent enough time on it.
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 24, 2010, 09:22:35 pm »

I trimmed and mounted the inner fenders today. I am much closer to finishing fabrication on the back half of the tractor. It looks much different than it did a couple of days ago anyway.

Tim Johnson

Offline mtd#7

• Turf Warrior
  • Cory Craft #7c
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 25, 2010, 11:08:17 pm »
Tacked the wheelie bars together today. I'm pretty happy with the way that they came out. I just have one small issue, one wheel is about 3/16" higher. Its fixable but how important is it that they are exactly the same it's not a 6 sec prostock car, and it is in dirt!

Those wheelie bars are really sweet!!! and all i can say is this is going to be one cool looking pulling machine!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!tsaeb ps eht hsaelnu

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 26, 2010, 12:08:58 am »
Those wheelie bars are really sweet!!! and all i can say is this is going to be one cool looking pulling machine!!!

Thank you for the positive feed back it's certainly going slow but I am enjoying the project. I worked a bit on sourcing wiring components today and drew a schematic/ block diagram I included a headlight circuit probably never use it but its there anyway.

The schematic as drawn includes the wiring for the stock ignition coil. Still considering other options. May also add leds for fuel pump switch and ignition switch as well as a voltmeter. Have yet to decide on what size battery to use.
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 01, 2010, 01:18:30 am »
Against conventional wisdom and good advice i am going to proceed with the right angle gear box/ motorcycle clutch, kohler verticle shaft OHV motor Drive train for this project. I'm sure there are numerous reasons not to do it but darned if I can think of any!!!!! First thing I'm gonna fab up a plate for the gear box, incorporate a bit of chassis reinforcement with this and mount a weight bar in front of the rear tires. I'm going to make this as an assembly that will be removable.

Gonna try draw this up today
Tim Johnson

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 01, 2010, 01:51:53 am »
I think unique and one off are cool and I don't want to discourage you from thinking out of the box and doing your own thing and all that.....but

From what I can gather, this tractor pulling can be hard on parts....if your actually going to be using this thing and it's "too" unique...will a minor breakdown require major rebuilding if you can't get replacement parts that are readily available or upgradeable..?
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 01, 2010, 10:03:30 am »
With my setup I feel that I have two options a twisted belt setup or my out of the box thinking on this. The twisted belt setup works well from what i have heard, but  I feel compelled to try this unproven design. It may very well be an exercise in futility. I am going to bolt this in and  will easily be able to modify it or remove it if it proves to be unable to hold up. Time will tell.
Tim Johnson

anything