Author Topic: just getting started  (Read 213030 times)

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: just getting started
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2010, 10:32:07 pm »
more progress, goin slow, tryin to get it together. Welding is certainly an art!  Read that on here this week somewhere!!!!

I'm a little worried about the bondo crackin on me. I'm gonna put a stiffener on the inside of the fenders across the front. Wthout it they will twist a lot. What do you guys think the best bondo is. Ie the strongest/hardest. I'ts just gonna be a skim coat not very thick but probably a good sized area on the inside and outside of the fenders. Anybody have a favorite...... fiberglass filler versus plastic?
Tim Johnson

Offline tjbryner

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FTFMRS
« Reply #151 on: May 31, 2010, 06:48:12 am »
Rage Gold Extreme, chroma-lite,or  z-grip...all work nearly identically with the last two being slightly cheaper.

but if you need strength I'd go with tigers hair then a skim coat with one of the ones up top.

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 02, 2010, 10:18:26 pm »
More progress not too happy with the results so far but getting better!

If everything looked like this I would be happy finally think I have the wire feed and heat right still need to work on consistency.

My dad made the wheelie bar wheels for me. They came out good I think!

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/fiberglass-fillers-c-612.aspx

Did a little research on the tiger hair fiberglass filler, found this website it has a lot of choices

Rage Gold Extreme, chroma-lite,or  z-grip...all work nearly identically with the last two being slightly cheaper.

but if you need strength I'd go with tigers hair then a skim coat with one of the ones up top.
Thanks much for the advice
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2010, 11:03:51 pm »
Getting closer to finishing the fenders. welded stiffener and backing plate on inside of the fender flare not beautiful but functional a little fiberglass probably be ok pix below.

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 04, 2010, 07:19:37 pm »
Finished up some small welds today tacked in the stiffener. Once this is welded a bit more, it's on to the fiberglass. I ended up getting a gallon of the evercoat, everglass. I hope it works the way it's reported to work!

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 29, 2010, 08:21:36 pm »
Finally found some time to work a bit on the tractor. Worked on the fender mounting brackets / assembly. This will bolt to the fenders and the steel plate that is mounted on the back of the tractor. At some point i am going to have to cut about an inch off of the plate to finish it up.

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 01, 2010, 12:42:57 am »
mounted fender mounting assembly today I'm probably post happy again but im just happy to have accomplished anything on the tractor, hope to finish up tomorrow with this task. Been givin a little thought to the driveline think i may, for now use a motorcycle clutch, and modify it to work with a right angle gear box and the peerless transaxle. Don't know if it has been tried before but in theory it should work! just have to figure out what clutch from what motorcycle to use. I found a clutch from a yamaha XT250 on ebay may give it a try. This build seems far from the norm, so why not!!!

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 04, 2010, 10:19:16 am »
I purchased a Honda rebel 250 clutch from a salvage yard yesterday. I found belts and pulleys that will work great hopefully they will be affordable!!!! Now I need to figure out the pulley ratio between the motor and clutch/right angle gear box assembly. I have a couple of ratio calculators just not sure if I want simply 1:1 for this or if I should reduce the engine rpm to the clutch/gearbox,and by how much what do you guys think??? The final drive ratio will be between the output of the RAGB and the transaxle. That's a discussion for another day.

Belts and pulleys

http://cptbelts.com

Finally mounted the fenders today!!!!!

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 05, 2010, 10:19:52 pm »
I worked today on my "seat" back design got the idea from the nichols website gonna incorporate my fire extinguisher mount into it,This will all be made out of aluminum. Also started on my wheelie bar mounting, cut some pieces to the general length that I need. Hopefully I will make more progress tomorrow. I also worked on laying the inner fender pieces out, they will also be made out of aluminum. Started a lot of things today, I hope they come together faster than the fenders did!!!! Still haven't even finished them!

:doh:

Lotsa work these here little projects   8)

nicholsperformance-online.com
Tim Johnson

Offline philr85

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 05, 2010, 11:45:27 pm »
looks sweet so far man makes me want to build one
BCLMRA president
technical inspecter @covevalley speedway 2012 is gonna be a an amazing season!
yes its fast no you cant drive it!
highland flats track champion 2009
2010 points champ @ covevalley
phil ruby

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 14, 2010, 10:11:50 pm »
I've almost finished my seat back / fire extinguisher mounting brackets, more pieces to make this is how it looks so far.

It's 1/4" aluminum

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 16, 2010, 10:10:23 pm »
More progress today The fire extinguisher is going to mount to the diamond plate.

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 19, 2010, 06:37:25 pm »
Finished fabricating seat back / fire extinguisher mount, machined out portion of diamond plate for fire extinguisher bracket. Started laying out the wheelie bars. I made a little fixture for the wheelie bar wheels and set the height at 4 1/4" max allowable is 5". This should make it easier to get the measurements of the pieces that i need to cut.

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 03, 2010, 08:32:45 pm »
no pix yet but drew up my wheelie bar design last week and cut all the parts today to fab them up. They are going to be a bit heavy bout 17 pounds each, Using 1" round bar probably get by with less. While I had the scale in the garage couldnt resist I weighed each wheel not sure how accurate this is by using only one scale, but 145 each back wheel and 85 each front wheel. Wheelie bars 34 pounds! Thats 494 pounds so far. Building for 1150# class so probably good

here's a pix from the drag races last weekend
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 09, 2010, 12:14:07 am »
Worked on pieces for wheelie bars tonight. Machined a flat face on opposite sides of the bar and my pops chamfered the ends, Didn't get all the faces on the bars parallel to each other. Doesn't matter that much for this, have to refine my setup next time !!!
The next process is to machine a 3/16" slot down the middle of the flat face  through the bar. Waiting on an end mill!

Setup

BTW: Machining tips always appreciated!

Machined parts

Tim Johnson

anything