Author Topic: ARC questions on EC site  (Read 7734 times)

Offline Tom Price

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • I'm so fast your girlfriend cheers for me!
    • View Profile
ARC questions on EC site
« on: November 06, 2008, 01:31:50 pm »
Is the Billet rod model 28 the stock length I assume?  Also the  billet counter weight link, that is the links for the synco-balance on my 28cid flattie right?  Kinda new to lawn mower engines but tryin to learn!!  So if I put the billet flywheel on it would be wise to put a billet rod, counter weight links and cam in so I don't blow something else up right?
#5 Tom Price
Price Mowersports
Lanesville, IN
2-Time Indoor Winter Nationals Winner

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: ARC questions on EC site
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 03:06:00 pm »
The standard length ARC rod is number 6280, I believe that is the one E.C. lists as the model 28 rod. The billet counter weight link (dog-bone) is a much needed item, as the factory ones are prone to breaking and sending the balancer out the back of the block. If you have a crank with the removeable eccentrics, you could one up it and remove the balancer all together and install the ARC counter balance weights on the crank. The billet rod is also a good thing to have. These items wont really net you any more power (well, some due to less weight), but they help the engine live. You need to make a strong foundation before putting all the power into it. Once all the weak links have been addressed, then worry about cam, carb and so on. Putting in that expensive can, only to have a weak rod fail and break the cam on it's way out the block is no fun.
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline Tom Price

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 03:19:51 pm »
Yeah, that's what I was wondering if those were the critical parts to upgrade in a mower engine to upgrade when you start building.  I know when you build car engines its the same way with fixing the weak links first.  I was basically wanting to put a billet flywheel on and remove the governor.  BUT I new more rpm's meant other stuff wouldn't take it so I was going to put in a billet rod and a race cam with the billet "dog bones" for the syncro balance.  Not wanting to spend a ton now, just get a good foundation for future mods.  Thanks!
#5 Tom Price
Price Mowersports
Lanesville, IN

Offline hack_job

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 03:24:32 pm »
Depending on how wild you are going to get with the engine you could get by with an OHV rod and a billet dog bone.
Checkers or Wrecker Racing
Understeer: when you hit the hay bale with the front of the mower.
Oversteer: when you hit the hay bale with the back of the mower.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the hay bale.
Torque: how far you take the hay bale with you.

Offline Tom Price

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 03:27:34 pm »
If you have a crank with the removeable eccentrics, you could one up it and remove the balancer all together and install the ARC counter balance weights on the crank.

You mean the brass counterweights?  Then I can remove the syncro-balance?  Just making sure I completly understand what you were refering to.  Like I said, kinda new to mower engines. :rockwoot:
Depending on how wild you are going to get with the engine you could get by with an OHV rod and a billet dog bone.

Not too crazy, just want something that will be strong and durable.  What I mentioned previously would be about it for a while.
#5 Tom Price
Price Mowersports
Lanesville, IN

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 03:33:30 pm »
Yup, if your crank has the removeable eccentrics, take the whole balancer out and install the brass weights. You get a bit more viration at low rpm, but it balances out higher up. You could go the ohv rod route, but the billet rod will last the engines lifetime more than likely, so once you have it, you have it. That's just the way I look at it. Spending a bit more now will save you a bit more later in my opinion.
Ed King

Offline Tom Price

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 03:37:01 pm »
Cool, Thanks!  You cleared up a few questions I was wondering about, appreciate it! :)
#5 Tom Price
Price Mowersports
Lanesville, IN

Offline matt175

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 09:48:21 pm »
the 6280 ARC rod is NOT the same length as the stock rod, you must use the AVS piston with the 6280 rod!!  check the pic in this thread out.

http://www.heymow.com/index.php?topic=8427.0
Matt Hewett
2009 All American Mower Championships 2nd place Super Modified Twin

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 03:15:18 pm »
HMM, old age must be creepin in on me, forgot about that. Yup, need the avs piston to go with that rod as well.
Ed King

Offline markiemark

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • North bay racing
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 07:23:50 pm »
HI i was in the same boat as you the beg. of this year and if fig out some things im list to help you out

1. The billet syncro link is important its only $25 and they will break it happen to me and cost me a whole motor.

2. the Arc brass weights i have had no luck with them at idle or lower rps id say under 2000rpm the machine vibrates extremly. so be smart and leave them alone.

3. Use a Stock OHV rod and piston combo  and it will work very wheel i ran like this all year reving up to mid 5000rpm and worked fine and also can be done cheap.

4. Advance your timing a smalll amount maybe order a #3 key going to much and it will be hard to start and will loose more then gain.

5. It all about the FLOW in a flat head so maybe a 11hp briggs head but dont go shaving the head alot cause again you loose more then you gain.

5. Try drilling the main jet in the carb that the jet in the bottom once you take the bowl off try drilling by .002 intill it revs all the  way up and seems to run well.
Mark Laird
www.northbaylawnmowerracing.com
I think i can i think i can. Oops I CANT

Offline benfield_boy

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 07:36:50 pm »
HI i was in the same boat as you the beg. of this year and if fig out some things im list to help you out

1. The billet synchro link is important its only $25 and they will break it happen to me and cost me a whole motor.

2. the Arc brass weights i have had no luck with them at idle or lower rps id say under 2000rpm the machine vibrates extremely. so be smart and leave them alone.

3. Use a Stock OHV rod and piston combo  and it will work very wheel i ran like this all year revving up to mid 5000rpm and worked fine and also can be done cheap.

4. Advance your timing a small amount maybe order a #3 key going to much and it will be hard to start and will loose more then gain.

5. It all about the FLOW in a flat head so maybe a 11hp Briggs head but don't go shaving the head a lot cause again you loose more then you gain.

6. Try drilling the main jet in the carb that the jet in the bottom once you take the bowl off try drilling by .002 until it revs all the  way up and seems to run well.
   Every word is right on! I have done the same thing except for #1 and #6 and I can get my motor to 5,500rpm on the track. It has stayed together (so far).
NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF!!! .....................ANYTHING is Possible.

Offline hack_job

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 08:18:31 pm »
For a fairly stock build I would disagree on the 11 hp head. I am running one and I love it. If you are running a stock cam that is the way to go.

Rather than just drilling out the jet a little at a time I would order an adjustable needle for it. It is very cheap to do and it will be much more tunable.

Checkers or Wrecker Racing
Understeer: when you hit the hay bale with the front of the mower.
Oversteer: when you hit the hay bale with the back of the mower.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the hay bale.
Torque: how far you take the hay bale with you.

Offline benfield_boy

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 08:41:53 pm »
 Yea I forgot to add that I had a cam in it...
NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF!!! .....................ANYTHING is Possible.

Offline markiemark

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • North bay racing
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 12:33:08 am »
I think you mean the adjuistabale get on the bowl if so there is a actual jet inside the carb you need to open up to allow more fuel to flow into the carb. Yeas you need the adjustable needle but u will also need to drill the main jet out itself. Take the carb and undo the bowl and remove and you will see up in the hole a slot for flat head screwdrive take that jet out and it be long brass tube with a hole in the middle and then 2 holes on the side. That the way iv been taught how to correctly do the carb jetting.

Rember all lil things add up. Use the search  on the fourm and type and 99% off any question has been posted on here once. THis site is almost a bible to me.
Mark Laird
www.northbaylawnmowerracing.com
I think i can i think i can. Oops I CANT

Offline Tom Price

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 11:07:12 am »
the 6280 ARC rod is NOT the same length as the stock rod, you must use the AVS piston with the 6280 rod!!  check the pic in this thread out.

http://www.heymow.com/index.php?topic=8427.0

So the 6280 is not stock length? Well.. is the OHV rod strong enough that if I put a cam in it I don't have to worry about it coming apart?  Where do I get the AVS piston for the 6280 rod and will it work with the stock crank?
#5 Tom Price
Price Mowersports
Lanesville, IN