Author Topic: 700 VS 500 PEERLESS  (Read 9970 times)

Offline carolinablue

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
700 VS 500 PEERLESS
« on: October 15, 2008, 06:24:33 pm »
Is there any difference between the two 
William Glass jr

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Re: 700 VS 500 PEERLESS
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 06:56:31 pm »
One has 5 speeds the other only 3
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline carolinablue

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 08:44:34 pm »
Thank you [ squidd ] i didnt think there was to much difference.
William Glass jr

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 01:45:35 am »
Internally there is a quite a bit of difference in the two! Aside from the case, which even there I'm not sure, there are very few interchangeable parts in the two. The gears can be made to work with modification, but the input and countershaft are quite a bit different. I'll have to see if I can find pictures, had two of them apart side by side to compare at one time, but there was so much difference in the two, that I never posted the pictures.

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 12:38:28 am »
700 vs. 500 Comparison

Brake Shaft - While there is some difference here it would appear to be attributable to use of the 2 piece Bevel Gear Assembly in one and the one piece bevel gear in the other. More on the bevel gear below.

Counter Shaft - is considerably different. While this is at least partly attributable to the 700 pictured here being off a walk behind Bobcat Mower, which uses bearings to support the outer ends of the shaft as opposed to the normal bushing application there, there is also a considerable difference in diamter of the shaft.

Shift keys are likewise different... 500 key on top, 700 key on bottom.

In looking at the gears pictured here, difference in the size of the Counter Shafts in these two trannies is clearly evident.

Looking at the right end, as pictured or top of the shift fork, you'll note there is also a difference in the shift fork between the 500 and 700.

As indicated above, here we have pictured a two piece and a one piece bevel gear assembly. It should be noted also that the 700 manual does recognize both on at least some trannies, and states that if the bevel gear is replaced with the 2 piece bevel gear assembly, it must be replaced as a set. Cause and reason being, the bevel itself is different on the two.   

Looking at the Bevel Pinion, this is more readily apparent, and one should also note the counter shaft gear on the bevel gear assembly is deeper as well.

Input shaft likewise shows considerable difference! Wear on the bottom shaft aside, everything about the Input Shaft is different!!

While there are some subtle differences in the case, again this is somewhat attributable to the bearings used on the countershaft in the 700 trannie. Otherwise there is some difference in the webbing for external mounts, and the bushings and holes in the case would appear to be the same on the Brake Shaft. If you look closely at the second picture, you'll notice there is also quite a bit of difference in the wall thickness surrounding the input shaft. 

So for those thinking these trannies are interchangeable... from a perspective of unbolting one, and bolting the other in, yes you can. Externally all dimensions would appear to be the same. Internally however, their parts are not interchangeable!!

Offline jerb

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 01:09:37 am »
mowdak1 simply amaze's me! a true lawn mower racer that breaths, sleeps and eats it!!  ;) :+1:
Tim Jerby
2010 round 2 monster energy drink mod-x champion
2009 mowfast mod-x champion
2009 mowfast sportsman runner-up
Coming soon...super mod twin!

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 09:58:12 am »
Just another racer lookin for answers Jerb! Questions had arisen here a time or two, and Squidd had done a nice job of comparing the Foote 3 speed and Peerless 700 in a post some time back. I was cleaning trannies up that day, and had the opportunity to compare the 500 and 700, so I broke out the camera and took a few shots.

Personally I was amazed that there was as much difference in them as found. I expected at least some of the parts to interchange, but there is actually very few parts in them that appear interchangeable. 

Offline Ironmike

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 12:21:37 pm »
Good info. I have a 500 and a 700 that i have preped in the past. But one thing i found is that i have a 700 with the same bevel gear with first gear made on to it. Thanks for the info

IronMike
"Money Runs"
Iron Mike
#392 Ap

Offline carolinablue

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 04:53:41 pm »
Thanks for all the info thats alot more than i expected for an explanation.This is a great forum. Thanks
William Glass jr

Offline pushtothepits

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 10:47:30 pm »
I started out with a 501 and eventually switched to a 700. As mowdak states bolt patterns on the case line up the same.                                                                                                  Didn't care for the 501 because the input shaft was only1/2 inch with a 3/32 keyway. Although it held up okay, the 501 had a high pitched whine.           
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. Thomas Jefferson

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 12:30:53 am »
Thanks for all the info thats alot more than i expected for an explanation.This is a great forum. Thanks

Not a problem, had the pictures already, was simply a matter of finding them and getting the information posted. Cleaning the trannies was the hard part, and that was already done!!  :lol:

Offline ZZ Mowrider

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 09:22:07 am »
Not a problem, had the pictures already, was simply a matter of finding them and getting the information posted. Cleaning the trannies was the hard part, and that was already done!!  :lol:
Mowdat1
have ya ever had a tranny do something like this.
I even had a input collar on it too.

Offline lowgalaxie

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 10:48:11 am »
I had that same thing happen and it was the needle bearings locked up. Could of been oil type or ??? who knows but I had the collar on to. I really think it has to be an oiling issue.
'08 All American Outlaw Single Champion
'09 Monster Energy Indoor Winter National Champion Outlaw single and Outlaw twin
Run with the best or run with the rest.
Outlaw racing #14 Mod-x  #14 sportsman
Vision as if you'll live forever///Drive as if you'll die tomorrow

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 12:03:45 pm »
I did that to one, but it was from trying to get the stock pulley off the input shaft.

Offline jerb

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 02:30:06 am »
i know this thread is pretty old, but the other day a buddy of mine purchased a mower that had a peerless 500 series tranny, first one i have seen, and it did indeed have the 5/8'' input shaft all the way to the pulley, not necked down like some, and it was a 4 speed also, only difference i could see inside was wider gears, did not use spacers like a 700 does for 3, 4, speeds, the input housing did fit the ec support bushing, although it was way more snug than a 700 series, and the shift keys were identical to the 700 keys, and it also had the fine spline output shaft, just a reminder that peerless did (even within same series numbers) change stuff internally, it is identical to a 700 but with wider gears, and get this, same identical input gear as the 800 series transaxle, which also shares some gears with the 700 box, if it says peerless, and its a box type tranny, they are worth grabbing!!!!!
Tim Jerby
2010 round 2 monster energy drink mod-x champion
2009 mowfast mod-x champion
2009 mowfast sportsman runner-up
Coming soon...super mod twin!