Author Topic: fordman21  (Read 3887 times)

Offline murph1411

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
fordman21
« on: August 17, 2008, 10:44:47 am »
Im looking to build a super modified for OELTRA next season. I cant deside weather to go vertical or horizontal shaft motors. My question is could you give me some pros and cons of both, Was going to go vertical but having trouble finding 90*gearbox...........Thank for the help.
Two Fat Guyz Racing
David Murphy

www.grasshogsracing.com

Wheelhorseracer

Re: fordman21
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 11:01:57 am »
I would go sideshaft.. 

I'm racing in supermod with WOO with a vertical and a chain on it's side... I've made mine live with a #35 chain at 60 inches long.. but there is a bit more maintenance involved.

If you going chain front to rear then go horizontal.. but if you plan on belt drive then I don't think it would matter.. Geroge Herrin can pull the wheel ( i've seen it) with a belt and tranny combo with a vertical.

For easy of maintenance the horizontal is the way to go..

We do have a competitive tractor in our Outlaw class with a vertical and works quite well..

Offline murph1411

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 11:41:41 am »
Thanks give me something to think about
Two Fat Guyz Racing
David Murphy

www.grasshogsracing.com

Offline iused2mow

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 10:28:41 pm »
The only real reason why people use a vert. is that they are easier to find parts for. it is somewhat difficult to find motors of the horizontal orientation and the same for parts(in some motors), But you can build a good horizontal shaft motor to run FAST but also is alot of $$$ involved a honda motor would be premuim, depending on the hp or cube limits in your class.
wide open into the corner, pray to god i make it out

Offline murph1411

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 08:52:07 am »
my class is 18hp with no internal mods or i can go up 1 class and its 22hp with internal mods
Two Fat Guyz Racing
David Murphy

www.grasshogsracing.com

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 09:16:41 am »
Is there any chance you will be coming down to a WOO race... if so you might want to limit yourself to a 18 hp engine.. cause down here you would have to run in the Outlaw class over 18 hp....

But I run an 18 hp flatty and the rules are open on flatty engines in super mod here.. I'm not sure of the oeltra rules regarding that class...

Offline murph1411

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 06:42:07 pm »
Im going with the 18hp v-twin. Heres the engine rules for supermod

ENGINE: Max 18 HP OEM rated 40cid, OHV, twin or flat head opposed twins max 44 cid, lawn equipment type 4 cycle engines. Internal modifications allowed using OEM parts. No internal modification to OHV Twins. No fuel injection. External shields and intake manifolds must remain stock. After market aluminum billet flywheels are allowed. External ignition allowed. Internal modification to single cylinder 28 cid and under engines open. Governors can be removed.

and for the open class

ENGINE OPEN: Max 22 HP OEM Rated max 44 cid for ohv, max 46 cid for opposed flat head twins, 4 cycle lawn equipment engines. Internal and external modifications allowed for all engines. Approved aftermarket aluminum billet flywheels are allowed. and recommended

Not sure if id make it to a W.O.O event, It would be a bit of a long drive drive but well have to see if my team wants to. It would be next season.
Wheelhorseracer  i just looked at the W.O.O rules and are supermod classes are the same and are OPEN class is the same as your outlaw class.
Two Fat Guyz Racing
David Murphy

www.grasshogsracing.com

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 09:23:36 pm »
Ya.. that's right.. the outlaws are pretty much open rules...and if you haven't seen them.. check out these videos...

Ryan Kerr's helmet cam

Outlaws Racing

Offline fordman21

• "The Bandit"
  • Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 11:01:13 pm »
Im looking to build a super modified for OELTRA next season. I cant deside weather to go vertical or horizontal shaft motors. My question is could you give me some pros and cons of both, Was going to go vertical but having trouble finding 90*gearbox...........Thank for the help.
I think the horizontal shaft is the way to go. You can get away from a transmission or 90 degree box and run a jackshaft. Also if you are running a vanguard, they have shorter lighter crankshafts with bearings unlike the vertical shaft engine. You also can control the oil around the crankshaft better with the horizontal engine. Plus if you run all chain instead of belts you can run in any conditions without worrying about belt slippage and so on. You have more room to build headers and get at everything with a horizontal engine. Also there is a better chance of off setting the engine with our rules. The advantages go on and on.
The vertical engine is more plentiful and cheaper.
Ryan Kerr  519-332-9532
2007 Troy Bilt Grand National Super Modified Champion.
2008 WOO Outlaw/FXT class Champion.
2008 All American Lawnmower Championsip Outlaw twins champion.
2010 WOO Outlaw/FXT class Champion.
2010 AAMC Twin Outlaw class Champion
2012 USLMRA FX/T National Champion
2012 SRAAUSO FXT Champion<br /

Offline fordman21

• "The Bandit"
  • Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 11:56:39 am »
Ya.. that's right.. the outlaws are pretty much open rules...and if you haven't seen them.. check out these videos...

Ryan Kerr's helmet cam

Outlaws Racing

That helmet cam track was so rough you couldn't even get on the throttle.
Ryan Kerr  519-332-9532
2007 Troy Bilt Grand National Super Modified Champion.
2008 WOO Outlaw/FXT class Champion.
2008 All American Lawnmower Championsip Outlaw twins champion.
2010 WOO Outlaw/FXT class Champion.
2010 AAMC Twin Outlaw class Champion
2012 USLMRA FX/T National Champion
2012 SRAAUSO FXT Champion<br /