Author Topic: Identifying Lawn Mower Transmissions  (Read 315400 times)

Offline MTDrider1160

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • PALMRA
Re: Identifying Lawn Mower Transmissions
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2007, 07:20:06 pm »
Yes you would have to run it in reverse.  Another think about that is that the chain is going to stretch.  So you will have to keep opening it up and taking links out or somehow- i have no clue- make a tensioner.

Offline dgraham225

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2007, 06:53:28 pm »
hey guys,

brand new to the mower racing scene, ha!  ive been searching all over the forums, looking to build my 70 sears custom 10xl into a racer... the gear box ive found is a peerless 755, is this comparable to the usual 700 i see so much about?  would it be worth using? thanks
Danny Graham

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2007, 07:08:12 pm »
All 7xx trannies are in the highly revered 700 family.

rather_be_racin

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2007, 09:55:11 pm »
 :noplease:

Foote Transaxle

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2007, 10:17:37 pm »
OK for IMOW/goverened class racing... Nothing "special" about it...clean it up, lube it and run it till it blows..
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

monstermurray

« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2007, 02:53:02 pm »
run it till it blows... you guys do say that alot. ive got a spicer 6 speed... should i stick with the MTD 618 or go to the spicer? (i bet your gonna say stay with the MTD, but i just wanna make sure before i send it away for good)

Offline Snowman18

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • BSMRA
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2007, 12:03:40 am »
Does someone recognize this transmission. It is a 4 speed no reverse, inside it looks similar to a 700

Unfortunately the sticker is blank (as far as a manufacturers name is concerned) except for the number 4100-9 and what looks like a date of 4-3-92. I suspect it's a FOOTE.
Scott Nelson
#18 (MX/R)
BSBOB(ARMA)
Retired
Bert once told me that" there was a lot of money in racing", he should know he put a lot of it in there.

Offline allen minaker

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • LawnMonkey Racing
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2007, 09:13:30 am »
I had one that looked alot alike and it was a Foote , but not sure if that one is .
LAWNMONKEY RACING
   FX  236
Vice President WILMRA
www.WILMRA.com
http://lawnmonkeyracing.webs.com/

GoodSamaritan

« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2007, 12:00:47 am »
Hey guys, I am new here and I'm trying to locate some info about a transaxle in my project mower.

I am going to be running it around 35mph mostly on smooth level ground and not actually racing it, but I would rather find out now if it is going to blow up so I can be on the lookout for a replacement.

It has one tag on it, that says  "Model 618-0163"
If anyone can point me to some useful info on it I would appreciate it.

Also I have an OLD heavy mtd 10hp mower frame with a H pattern 3 speed peerless axle with what looks to be a cast iron case, and a band style brake on the side opposite the pulley. It has a metal tag on it with the model but I can't remember the exact ones now. I want to say it started with a 5 or a 6, but I can look it up tomorrow.

Thanks!

GoodSamaritan

« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2007, 07:47:58 am »
Well, I started making this one into a racer, but halfway through decided that this one was to be a little car show/drag strip cruiser when I found an old mtd with a peerless 3 speed in it for 10$.

I made my first post here in the "other interesting builds" section but it disappeared almost immediately. Are the rules really so strict around here that nobody is allowed to mention a project just for fun? If so, maybe I really am in the wrong place.

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2007, 08:11:49 am »
Unfortunately they are so out of necessity Good Samartan, not necessarily because we want them to be. We tried opening things up to other sectors of mower goodies and sorting things out, and it eventually led to a herd of unruly children running rampant through the forum creating chaos. The end result was that we had to sort things out... continuously, butt heads with said kids... repeatedly, argue our point in trying to maintain some semblance of order... repeatedly, defend our position for decisions handed down... constantly, and eventually ban most of those creating problems. Management and Administration therefore elected to maintain the forum as a racing forum only to curtail the number of less than devoted insterests here detracting from the environment we're trying to build. The All Terrain Mower guys moved to a new board to try and get things moving along on their side of things. The kids moved to a new board to talk nasty about Admin.

----

The 600 Peerless transaxle you mention above will serve your project well, they are very durable. It is a preferred transaxle amongst racers for that reason in fact. If you have pictures, that may help us identify the second tranny as well

Parts break down for Peerless transmissions/transaxles can be found here - http://www.odref.com/peerless/

GoodSamaritan

« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2007, 09:14:29 am »
Thank you for the peerless info!

I can understand the need for order, and will abide by the rules. I just wasn't expecting such a harsh welcome... or should I say lack thereof.

I don't have a pic of my transaxle out of the frame, but here is an ebay link to one that looks the same despite being a different model number.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170115559631

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2007, 09:34:00 am »
Not a problem dude, although what you have there is not a Peerless transaxle. That one is an MTD. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230134965278

My apologies on the earlier post, assume the Hpattern 3 speed should be a Peerless 600. Wasn't clear on that as that was before coffee, wasn't altogether awake there. The 600 series Peerless would be seen here http://www.heymow.com/index.php/topic,697.msg3938.html#msg3938

The MTD 618 is not nearly as durable, although it may stand up to what you intend doing with it. If you're not running competition with it, pushing it to the extremes we would under race conditions it may stand up fine. I have seen a few posts around here where guys are using them, but I believe they were running in classes with limited modifications to the engines so they aren't generating the torque many of the other racers are. If you have a couple, I'd run with it. If it breaks simply replace it. They should be found fairly cheap for replacement as well, it's just a matter of how many times you want to walk home. :D

And, likewise apologies on the harsh welcome, we are rather guarded in our position on these things at times, as a result of the problems previously encountered.

Offline LOUIS CATES

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2007, 11:31:45 pm »
 I think he is talking about 2 different transaxles, cause the 618 is not an         H-pattern. Also, does the 600 series come with a band brake?
 The first mower I built was an old simplicity that had a cast iron H unit with a band brake. that thing must of weighed about 50 lbs. The input pulley was on the right side on a horizontal plane, and the belt had a half twist to the vertical engine. Sorry I cant remember make or model. Louis

THANKS,  LOUIS

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2007, 11:39:40 pm »
Some 600s do/did ... I sold one eariler this year wi cast iron case and band brake...

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

anything