Author Topic: Sticky Topic  (Read 5895 times)

Offline Upgrade302

• View Profile
Sticky Topic
« on: May 14, 2006, 11:24:58 am »
Was wondering if the admins could create another sticky, one that would help newbies identify transmissions and transaxels by sight.  They could post a listing of various types of transmissions and transaxels with thier corresponding model number and a brief list of the mowers that members or others found them in.

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Sticky Topic
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 12:06:09 pm »
OK... :twisted: Sounds like a great idea...

You had asked if you could help out, so here's your assignment...

Go to the Peerless, Techumpsa, Foote and Spicer sites and down load all the pics of transmissions and transaxles you can find...

Then resize them to 500X500 and PM them to me...I'll set up a stickey once we get enough coverage and then if you don't supply the IDs as you get the pics we can ID them from here...

That will cover the first part of your request...

The second part will be MUCH more difficult   >...insert Mission Impossible Theme music here...<

Even if we could tell you "what fits what" for every year, make and model...the info wouldn't do you much good...

If I told you a 1983 Simplicty 8032 had a Peerless 739 tranny... What are the chances of you finding a 1983 Simplicity 8032...??

Better to work the problem from the other end...

IE:"This" is what I found...What is it...??"
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
Sticky Topic
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 02:04:35 pm »
Not to drop a turd in your punch bowl Squidd, but Upgrade has a legitimate point up to a point there. Realistically we're only talking a few desirable transmissions for Lawn Mower Racing and it wouldn't be too tough to set up a thread and get some decent pictures contributed for such that would help identify those we're all after. I have pictures of a 350 Peerless buried on the G-Team site, and I have a 700 sitting in the garage. Likewise, have a foote transaxle but I'm not sure about model number on that one. I could just superimpose one of those big red circles with the line through it on that picture! As best I recall there's no brand name or anything on that one

On the other hand Upgrade, Squidd has a very valid point and since the manufacturers use parts on an availablility/bid price basis it's also reasonable to assume that some models had more than one tranny available. Even if you were able to find a 1983 simplicity 8032 it's possible it wouldn't have the right transmission. And, even if we put the pictures up in here it's often difficult to tell what you have in the mowchine without pulling it out. This is especially true in the case of transaxles where most identifying features are on top of the transaxle which is not easily accessible. And, all are usually buried deep enough in the chasis to accumulate a pound or two of dirt, dust, and grease on top of them.  

I think we can find room for a thread containing photographs of the more popular trannies, list a few of their identifying features, and include a link to parts breakdown on the manufacturer's or a reputable jobber's site.

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Sticky Topic
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 02:48:35 pm »
Yeah, It's probably not all "that" hard once you think of it..

I have at least 5 of the desireable models sitting around the shop (2 types of trannys and 3 different transaxles) and a couple you want to stay away from....

Just to lazy to set them up for pics...

On the other hand....

If someone wants to send me an 800 series with the 017 kit installed I'd be happy to take pics of it before it goes in my BP... :twisted:
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Sticky Topic
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 05:13:33 pm »
Well mine are for the most part at the front of the pile of parts, or laying in the floor in front of the bench to be tripped over... I'll try and dig them out and get a few pictures, and dig up the 350 pics on the G-Team site. Only problem is I'll have to clean a counter off someplace to work on them, and that could take a day or so!  :roll:

Offline Upgrade302

• View Profile
Idea
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 06:32:30 pm »
Well, I had hoped this wouldn't get torpedoed right away.  Squidd, you did read too much into my idea.  Most of the seasoned guys on here know what the most desireable trannys/transaxels are and those were the only ones that I was refering to.  Like you have said, you have 5 different types and hand right now.  And I am sure there are members who would be happy to contribute often to help out the site.  And I like mowdak1's idea about identifying features to help sort out what's what.  As far as what they came out of, cue the Mission music.  Right now I have 6 different riding mowers in my shed.  If I had pics and ID's of trannys/transaxels I could tell you what type was in each mower.  I'm sure those who felt like it could also tell us what trans they are using came out of what machine.  They were there when they yanked it or they used the info in the sticky to ID it.  Man this is getting easier by the minute.  I'm not suggesting that a completed list be posted, just that we develop a starting point that members and guests could contribute to, building up a pretty good database as time goes by.  There is a lot of good info and resources here that needs to be captured.

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Sticky Topic
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 07:13:31 pm »
I'd still be a little hesitant to suggest that anyone could pinpoint which mowers have which trannies by year model Upgrade. As indicated above they're installed on an availability/bid price basis. The manufacturer needs X number of trannies for a given year model whoever gets the bid their tranny goes in, if they sell too many they are subject to rebid, whereas tranny may change in a given year model in any given year. Or, if they don't sell enough I'm sure they carry them over to the next year.

Likewise, it's really tough to pick out a year model on a mower even if you know what you're looking at. If you're dealing with someone who's acquired the mower second or third hand, or it was left in the tree row behind the house by the previous homeowner, they probably don't have a clue what year model it is, and you're going to have to go look at it anyhow.

Might be nice if we could find a few guys with known makes and models of transaxles installed in unaltered machines to get a few a pictures from the bottom side so you could print them out and take a picture along to look at. Or, maybe even a few pictures of factory machines they came out of so you could send a picture to someone and say, "Does it look anything like this?"  

But, I do most certainly agree that we can come up with something that would be of benefit, and it is certainly a worthy topic. Personally I wouldn't have a clue what a 600 Peerless looks like, don't know what the 800 you comment on up there looks like Squidd. Tore my AP down to start building on it yesterday (yeah... I'm running a little behind! But when I get moving on it, it will go together fast, I promise. Might be next year before I get an engine, but...) that one had a three speed Foote tranny in it that looks almost identical to a Peerless 700 casewise. Don indicated they're easy to identify, Foote is the only on that stamped the shift sequence on the top of the case, even though it's buried in the mowchine. Once I scrubbed a little dirt off, sure enough it was stamped Foote on the case right below the shifter.

But there are obvious giveaways like the bushing versus bearings on the shafts of the 350 versus 400 model Peerless. I think we can make something work here pretty easily.

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Sticky Topic
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 08:18:38 pm »
I can do a 600, 700, and 820... and a Foote Tranny...have them loose in the shop... Then some unidentified T-axel (I think 900??) that 4 bolts will pull out..

Then do top, back, and bottom shots to give a "reasonable ID... and maybe a clean the "Tag" so you know where to find it, type pic...

I think once you see them side by side (or one of each) it would be pretty easy to narrow down the choices "out in the field"...

Then "specific" model numbers (700-739,-740, -708) will have to be found by cleaning the tag...

Really though...this Techumsa/Peerless site... http://www.outdoordistributors.com/peerless/peerless-partslists.html
Will help ID most any thing you have (as long as it's a T/P...) and this Dana/Spicer/Foote site Covers them well.. http://m-and-d.com/dana_foote_parts.html?id=VSYiG2kD
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Sticky Topic
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 11:28:27 pm »
We'll put those links in the lead post and suggest they go there for positive identification when in doubt, and of course for parts break down. The only downfall there is... those guys ain't about racing mowers, so they have all of them loaded there, all we really want here are the ones that work well and I suppose a few of the more popular ones that don't work for mower racing!

We could also add comments on what needs to be done to make them fit for mower racing such as removing the chain for reverse in the 700 Peerless and explain why. Likewise, I have pictures of mods on a transaxle that Joe Pearce sent me that would make good coverage on how to lock the differential in transaxle.

The other sites are great, I certainly won't deny that, but they don't offer a racer's perspective, that's where we step in with this thread.  :wink:

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Sticky Topic
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 01:21:33 am »

Offline ajgetz

• View Profile
Sticky Topic
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 10:32:04 am »
I could be wrong,  but I thought that the 017 shift kit was only for the peerless 820 series?

Andrew
www.oeltra.ca
http://www.oeltra.proboards58.com/
www.oeltra.ca
www.oeltra.proboards58.com
2007 TROY-BILT Canadian Nationals Super Modified Group B Champion
2006 TROY-BILT Cup Series Modified Points Champion
2006 TROY-BILT Grand Nationals Modified Champion

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Sticky Topic
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 01:12:02 pm »
That's the one..With the 1" axle and the HD case...

The one on E-bay is an 801...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Sticky Topic
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 01:14:02 pm »
Well I tried! See that's the sort of thing that will make the thread valuable!  :wink: