Engine Help > Briggs Flathead

Engine Wiring/Chassis Wiring Diagram

(1/11) > >>

Upgrade302:
I have a question concerning the engine wiring.  I have an older Montgomery Ward 3 speed rider with a 10 hp engine.  I did a search and found the post with the B & S alternator diagrams and it helped a bit, but I need clarification.  I have stripped my mower of all the mowing parts, headlights and all the related switches, etc.  Now I would like some Dummy proof help to tie all of the components together to complete the electrical system.  Could someone walk me through this or provide a link to a diagram?  I basically need to know how to hook the battery to the motor and all in between.  Thanks a bunch.

Squidd:
For your basic "racing" mowchine...(no lights, no charging, Kill switch and push button starter) this is all you need...

Upgrade302:
Okay then.  First the charging.  Why or why would I not want to have the alternator connected?  Oh and call me an idiot, but I have no idea what most of the drawings you sent are.  Yes my village misses me.  What can I use for a kill switch?  I'd appreciate an IM if anyone can help me.  my screen name is Signal50.  Thanks.

Squidd:

--- Quote --- First the charging. Why or why would I not want to have the alternator connected?
--- End quote ---

Most guys remove or at least disconnect the charging system, often running a lightened flywheel with no magnets (quicker) and then just trickel charge the batery between races...Alternators do produce "a little" drag on engine and are not needed...

--- Quote ---I have no idea what most of the drawings you sent are
--- End quote ---

Dang...I didn't think I drew THAT bad... :lol:

--- Quote ---What can I use for a kill switch?
--- End quote ---

Best is a "pull off" type teatherd kill switch so if/when you fall off, the motor dies and does not run off wild...Look on ATVs, Snowmobiles and Jet skis...

Upgrade302:
Okay.  First, what are the green, blue and red wires hooked to.  If I did want to hook up the alt, where do I attach is?  Can you label your drawing?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version