Author Topic: puller building  (Read 18419 times)

Offline Dynoman

• View Profile
puller building
« on: March 13, 2008, 08:15:33 am »
I am interested in building a puller this year and would like some info on how to build one. Is there a build in the works so I can get an idea where to strart and get what I need? So far I have a old Dynomark mower. And it is huge. Figure it will make a good puller. Has a monster transaxle, must weigh 125 pounds. But not sure to use it. If there are any good pointers out there please let me know. Thanks

Offline Toad

• View Profile
Re: puller building
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 10:41:54 am »
 I have two dyna marks that we pull with where are you located at and what size motor do you have?
Need more horse power

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:14:54 pm »
DO you have a specific class and place you are planning to pull? It the dynamark mower is a bottom shaft mower wont work... Here in NC we mostly pull with the older wheel horses and cub cadets that have kohler K-SERIES engines on them....
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline Dynoman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 11:41:42 pm »
I am from southern Minnesota. Also new at this garden tractor stuff. Been looking through this site for a year and always wanted to build something. I picked this mower up a year ago or more. It has been in peices in my garage attic since our move. Just have not had the time or capital to do anything with it. Now that I am finally settled in and almost have my shop in order I would like to do something with it. It has been collecting dust far to long!!!!

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 11:47:47 pm »
Outlaw you shouldn't tell him a bottom shaft tractor won't work. They will if set up correctly. The season champion in our clubs 900lb 23-10.50x12 class is a bottom shaft gravely with a 42 cube opposed twin. And thats against a bunch of wheelhorses and a few cubs.

Dynoman the real only thing you need to have is a tractor with 12 inch rear tires and a 5 on 4.5 wheel bolt pattern. That will have a heavy duty transaxle and more then likely it will be a pearless. They are pretty bullet proof when first starting out.

Dennis
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 07:01:39 am »
Outlaw you shouldn't tell him a bottom shaft tractor won't work. They will if set up correctly. The season champion in our clubs 900lb 23-10.50x12 class is a bottom shaft gravely with a 42 cube opposed twin. And thats against a bunch of wheelhorses and a few cubs.

Dynoman the real only thing you need to have is a tractor with 12 inch rear tires and a 5 on 4.5 wheel bolt pattern. That will have a heavy duty transaxle and more then likely it will be a pearless. They are pretty bullet proof when first starting out.

Dennis

Dennis,
The reason I told im that I have no experience with trying with a bottom shaft lawn mower. SO if has been tryed go for it! Id say get you a certain class to build for, Get the rules and go to buildin!
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline Dynoman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 09:23:01 pm »
Well it is about learning. This will be the second time I have tried to get some help on the same build a year ago, and the same thing. Well I will wing it SAFELY.

Offline Toad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 11:41:35 pm »
 Dynoman check your messages and get back to me.
Need more horse power

Offline THawley08

• Spooner
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Hawley Racing
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 08:05:53 am »
Be sure to post pictures so we can help you with ideas.
Tommy Hawley
Sponsors:
-STA-BIL Diesel http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx
-Loud Whisper Media www.loudwhispermedia.com
Birdman Express Racing Products
Cutloose Racing Opposition Engines
#08 C/P MLMRA
Farwell, Michigan I am the Balm
Owner of the baddest opposed in the north.
4th 2010 USLMRA Points CP
2009/2010 MLMRA CP Points Champion

Offline chuckm

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 10:53:27 am »
Hi, My name is Chuck Moritz, I was  associated with garden tractor pulling here in Nebraska up to 5 yrs ago when I went racing.I guess I was in it almost from the beginning of the concept so I've think I seen about every build that could be put together! Starting out pulling is a sport that the first thing you do before anything is understand weight transfer of the tractor and the balance  this does not take a lot of bucks to understand but understand it, first before putting a puller together!
Once you have a feel for that then you can make soild choices of how to build.
Pulling is hard on a tractor so the basic start is strength of the chassis .
Cubic Inch is big but before you can make it pull everything behind the engine to the
rearend needs to be equal in strength.Also your gear Ratios are huge plus when it
comes to this,Tires are King also if you don't have the correct tires or have them cut like competion lot people got frustrated and quit.I've seen your type of mower pull few years back and it would be design for a light weight class say 600-800# and depending on your rearend thats ify . Here that would like be stock class or a altered stock it depends on where you pull all states have different rules but are fairly close.
If you put some pics up and show me what your engine is rearend drive system
tires,etc different angles of pics I sure could help you out! To get off to a good start.
And save you some cash!!
Thanks
Chuck Moritz
p.s. I'll take a few pics and show you what i've done in the past.
Chuck Moritz
Sutton, Nebraska
age 58

Offline Toad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 10:08:42 pm »
 I will try to put the pictures of my two tractors that have 18 horse briggs in them
Need more horse power

Offline Dynoman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 08:41:09 am »
Well I did not have the time to find an engine. Been busy. I don't have a camera here. My girlfreind took it to the Bon Jovi concert in the Twin cities. I will get some pics up as soon as I can. And some info on the mower. Have the day off today so I should be able to get some stuff posted. Thanks for all the help.

Offline chuckm

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 09:43:31 am »
Toad, I looked @your tractor but its to small to see real good gets pretty blurry when I enlarge it.
So if you can get a larger pic will help more.
thanks
chuckm
Dynoman, That will be great!
chuckm
Question,  What state org. do you plan pulling with?
chuckm
Chuck Moritz
Sutton, Nebraska
age 58

Offline Dynoman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 10:00:08 am »
Well I got some numbers this morning. Transaxle model 2345 peerless 0085 0663 4 speed. Lawnmower is Dynomark Model 5181 0000 code 0100. I think it will make a good puller. Not to sure about the tranaxle, but it is cast iron.

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 10:23:21 am »
Dyno that will work. Sounds like an older dynamark with the vertical engine and a twisted belt setup. I run the same transaxle and belt setup on my sons tractor. It does extremely well for being just a bunch a spare parts. The biggest part on your chassis is to strengthen it. Your rules to build by should give a hitch hieght. When you build your hitch incorporate some horizontal bars from the bottom of your hitch to the front of you tractor just behind the engine. This will give the tractor frame a ladder bar design and make it strong. The stamped steel chassis aren't very strong. Here is a pic of my boys tractor.

This has a dynamark transaxle and all the twisted belt hardware. I just shortened it alot to put it under this craftsman chassis.

Dennis
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan