Author Topic: newbie in need of help w/ go cart...  (Read 7994 times)

Offline bob

• View Profile
newbie in need of help w/ go cart...
« on: July 28, 2007, 10:49:11 am »
Hello all,

I know this isn't a go-cart site, but any help/suggestions that you all could offer would be greatly appreciated. I think that once I explain what I'm trying to do, you all may see why I chose to post here.

Project:
4 speed with reverse suspension go-cart for my 6 year old son.

What I have available that works....
1. 5 hp Briggs engine from a pushmower that I no longer need.
2. Plenty of steel tubing to construct a frame.
3. (3) Peerless 702 4 speed trannies, all of which seem to be in working order.
4. Differentials from multiple lawn tractors and mowers. 

What I am hoping to accomplish is 20-30 mph, yet still have the ability to go off-road (I will have suspension on this thing) and climb some hills. Any advice on the pulley size for the engine drive and transmission? Sprocket size on tranny and axle?

I've been reading the post on prepping the 700 series tranny, and I will be doing this work before actually installing it.

Bobby

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Re: newbie in need of help w/ go cart...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 11:26:10 am »
Suggest you try the ATLMA site (All Terrain Lawn Mower Association)

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline tgames64

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 12:43:35 pm »
You know, it's really none of my business but we talk about safety all the time.

I don't think I would put a 6 year old on a 20-30 MPH kart of any kind. Especially a homemade one.
Ted Ames
AKA, Cranky Ole Fart
www.sglmra.com

Offline bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 06:59:06 pm »
I won't bother you folks after this, but I will give you a couple of tid-bits on my way out.

1. Thanks for the link Squidd. I'll give that a look and hopefully get some help there.

2. Your idea of "homemade" and mine are probably totally different, tgames. Being as I work in the design aspect of one of the largest manufacturers of flat-bed and drop-deck trailers in the world, I believe I am qualified to design/build a safe go cart capable of carrying a 55 LB child.

3. He was never meant to go 20-30 mph. I had intentions of making use of sliding seat rails which would allow me to drive this machine as well. For his time behind the wheel, a simple "stop" on a hinge will be latched into place that will govern how far he can push the gas pedal, thus not allowing him to turn as many rpm which will limit his speed and his potential for climbing beyond his experience.

Just an FYI.....for those of you who think a cart or even a mower for that matter is better just because you bought it...consider it was MOST LIKELY built using this thought process: "As safe as cost allows"

Offline Snowman18

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • BSMRA
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 08:29:47 pm »
It's not "as safe as cost allows" in lawmower racing, It's as safe as we can possibly be knowing there are inherent risks involved in any and all forms of motorsports.
Scott Nelson
#18 (MX/R)
BSBOB(ARMA)
Retired
Bert once told me that" there was a lot of money in racing", he should know he put a lot of it in there.

Offline bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 09:31:22 pm »
Which was exactly my point.

Offline greasemonkey

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 11:18:42 pm »
Hey i made a off road cart from mostly lawn mower parts http://www.heymow.com/index.php/topic,4521.0.html
peerless 3 speed my be nice because you can use third gear for speed switch down for hills and stuff.

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 11:37:05 pm »
Point well taken Bob, and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind, knowing Ted, that he meant no disrespect in the concerns offered. He's a very conscientious guy, and you and your child's best interest were in mind with his post. Unfortunately, we get entirely tooooooo many boneheads through here that don't give a dam about safety, and lack the education and the skill to design and build a safe machine of any nature; let alone one that you'd turn a 6 year old loose on. And thus, we the admin and moderators of this board, are eternally preaching safety, safety, safety!!

The hinged throttle stop sounds like a great idea... If you haven't yet, you might want to consider incorporating a means of locking it somehow. That would prevent it from accidentally flipping open on rough terrain, and allow you to lock it closed at all times unless you or another responsible driver are on it.  Just a thought dude!!

Offline bob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 12:36:40 am »
going back and reading my response, I realize that I sound much like a jerk. of course there is no way for anyone here to know whether or not I'm qualified to handle this project. just for giggles, allow me to put it to rest.....I am, lol.

grease, that is a pretty nice ride you've got there. i'm a junk-a-holic myself. to tell the truth, i'd rather have a pile of scrap iron and my tools as to have a blank check in an industrial supply store. i can see you've made use of nearly the entire mower while working it into a cart frame. nice job, man. I'd actually like to see what the driveline looks like from underneath if you ever get the chance.

so, back to my original question:
5 hp briggs, 702 peerless, access to differentials if i choose to use them....any ideas on pulley sizes on engine and tranny?

currently, my plan is to run a belt from engine to tranny, then from tranny output straight to drive wheel. with the creative use of some u-joints, I'm planning independent rear suspension, so at this point i'm just using the differentials for decoration in my garage.

Bobby

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 01:05:25 am »
:lol: Not a problem dude, just wanted to clear Ted of any misgivings you may have had in his respect. Squidd's the master of gear ratios around here, maybe he'll give you a hand with that.

Suspension isn't our cup of tea however, we don't run none man! There have been several discussions of such on the ATLMA site however, it's an offshoot of the mowbetter forum.

Mowbetter is dedicated to mower racing; attempts to involve other avenues of mower sport, such as the occasional kart build, or ATLMA scene have conflicted heavily with what we were trying to build here for mower racers in the past. And there again, we as admin and moderators tend to lean heavily on the side of discretion in that respect, because of problems seen on the board in the past.

Likewise, we don't see many 5 hp engines in mower racing, most mower racers run 8 hp or larger. There are a couple of members here that are involved in karting and they might be able to help you out with questions in that respect. Try a PM to Hitchhiker for any questions there.

Weekends most of the guys are on the road to a race someplace, so it might be a day or so before they all get back here to answer your questions. 

Offline tgames64

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 10:54:05 am »
Thanks Rocky, thats exactly what I meant.Sorry to upset you there Bobby but I was not referring to your qualifications to build a vehicle but for the safety of a small child on a vehicle.I know when you go and buy one of these karts from tractor supply or where ever they do as much as they can for safety using roll bars that are padded, safety harness and kill switches.They make the machine as safe as possible and put plenty of warning stickers on them so they don't get sued by a bad decision someone made.

I was at an exhibition race recently where I saw a young girl, about 12 years of age running on a 1/4 mile kart track with a J/P class mower wearing shorts, no gloves, and no neckbrace.Seeing stuff like that :censored: me off and I wanted to snatch her grandpa out of his truck and ask him what the heck he was thinking about.Those mowers do about 23 MPH as the are the same as IMOW builds.

Anyway, didn't mean anything personal and as I said it is really none of my business. I hope your build goes well, make it safe as possible and keep an eye on him. I just went to a race that Hitchiker put on last weekend and saw his motor work up close.He can make a good motor and probably is your best bet for the 5hp you want as Rocky said.
Ted Ames
AKA, Cranky Ole Fart
www.sglmra.com

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 07:45:53 am »
5 hp briggs, 702 peerless, access to differentials if i choose to use them....any ideas on pulley sizes on engine and tranny?

currently, my plan is to run a belt from engine to tranny, then from tranny output straight to drive wheel. with the creative use of some u-joints, I'm planning independent rear suspension, so at this point i'm just using the differentials for decoration in my garage

You are either going to have to narrow this down, or I'm going to have to make a few assumptions for you to narrow it down in order to gear for a particular speed...

Motor RPM goverened or un goverened..?? If it's goverened you don't need hitchhiker you need a Briggs manual.. if your doing a 9,000 rpm screamer it'll throw preliminary gearing calcs out the window...

Then are you using a "tranny" but u-joint to what?? for independant suspension....

If is chain to sprocket and independant sub axle to wheel thats one set of calcs ...if its u-joint to "transaxle" to stubs, then there is a trans axle gear effect to consider...

But you mention differentials... that you may or may not use..?? or did you mean transaxle??

I really don't have enough to go on here...

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline bob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 06:06:32 pm »
Ok, Squidd,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Been very busy as well as finalizing the design ideas for this machine. Hopefully I can now provide enough information to help you to help me.

Tentative final drive parts list:
5 hp briggs engine (governed as he IS only going to be slightly over 7 yrs old by next spring)
820 Peerless transaxle (will be extending the shafts to overall width of 36")
17" circumference on rear wheels
No chain drive, no u-joints, just engine to transaxle to wheels.

Goal is 20 mph (25 tops) in high gear, yet still manage to hang onto some torque.

Questions are as follows:

1. Is the 820 capable of reaching my goal without resorting to gearing the output shafts and going with a live axle?

2. If it IS capable of doing this, what would you suggest as far as a starting point on the engine and t/axle pullies?

Again, any help you all can offer is much appreciated.

Bobby

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2007, 07:35:23 pm »
Questions are as follows:

1. Is the 820 capable of reaching my goal without resorting to gearing the output shafts and going with a live axle?

>>>Yes<<<

2. If it IS capable of doing this, what would you suggest as far as a starting point on the engine and t/axle pullies?

>>>Assuming you know the final ratio of the 820 in highest gear (probably 12:1 in stock unit) set the pulleys to reduce to 8: or 9:1... that will get you right in your ballpark for speed.<<<

>>>Check this thread<<<

..17" circumference on rear wheels...

>>> I doubt it<<<
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline RoMow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 04:08:08 pm »
Bobby, 

Just re-read this post and all its responses.  Did you ever finish this project?  How did it turn out?  Glad you decided on an 820 transaxle :) .

Respectfully, 
Rodney Rom 
Rom's Reworks 
Butler, MO 
"No matter how many material possessions or awards you may acquire in your lifetime, the only thing you will ever truly own is your reputation." (Age 73)