Author Topic: Building an L-Spindle Front Axle  (Read 3445 times)

Offline Negrey

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Building an L-Spindle Front Axle
« on: May 02, 2007, 09:33:26 pm »
Hey guys,
Our rules say "NO go-kart spindles, L type spindles only" minimum 5" ground clearance.I believe that L spindles are a thing of the past in the USLMRA because of the new IMOW rules. I've have the suggested Camber and Caster settings, But I was wondering if there are any other things to consider when building an L-Spindle front axle? I remember the Old Acme Imow Axle and it doesn't look like it would be 5" ground clearance with 15x6.00/6 tires. And my mower is like MOWMAN_RACER's except it had a 12hp in it, but i doubt there is much of a difference.

My idea is to do the beam of the front axle somthing like:   \________/   (but not with that extreme of angles)                                                                                                                  \___________/

Thanks,
Negrey

Evan

Offline jrlawnmowerdad

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Building an L-Spindle Front Axle
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 10:22:28 pm »
Yes the old acme imow axles had at least 5 inches ground clearance,You might check with Mike Cupps to get the actual number.He might even have one sitting around.His racing axles could give you the 5 inches if you set it higher mine is 5 1/4 inches and he makes his own spindles which means no kart spindles.Give him a call
Chris Curry

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 10:31:59 pm »
L type spindles only

The way I read that it says "L type"....no cart spindles... Doesn't say they have to be mower spindles....meaning you could build your own...

Just set the axle below the carrier rather than in between as the cart guys do and you should be legal..
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Negrey

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 07:55:42 pm »
Thanks Guys,
Negrey
Evan

Offline dang107

• Turf Warrior
  • M&M RACING
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 08:27:58 pm »
I have to race with identical rules if you look in project builds under for the love of a toro you will see how I got around it. theres also way more adj. then you can get with go kart spindles

anything