Author Topic: cv25 power band  (Read 1315 times)

Offline spyider

• View Profile
cv25 power band
« on: January 22, 2024, 05:36:02 am »
what would the ideal rpm be for a governed class of 3650 max be. cv25 engine, wasnt sure where i should adjust my gears to get a certain rpm for the maximum performance.  if i had a place local i knew of with a small engine dyno i would consider that and know exactly..

Offline Rrichard

• View Profile
Re: cv25 power band
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2024, 08:08:26 pm »
Old post for sure, however! Kohler web site has all the spec's for their engines. They are listed in the manuals for the motors they have produced . You get them from their website(free)!

I looked up my CV 490 and learned the max torque for that motor is at 2400 RPM.

It would be pretty safe to assume that is gonna be pretty close across the board.
 Kinda makes sense the engine maker would set them up for max torque at RPM level well below MAX governed eng speed.

Seat of the pants will tell you pretty darn quick as well ! Start with your best guess on gearing and then change till you quit pulling hard on the straights, ideally that will be JUST before you need to turn. You really gain nothing making a motor really sing unless it just ain't got no ump to start with.

If it's not still pulling, you are just wearing it out quicker due to excessive RPM. Sounds good, but that's about it !
Sincere Thanks to all that freely shared their hard earned information and experiences !

Offline fordman21

• "The Bandit"
  • Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2024, 08:52:05 am »
If it was mine and the limit was 3650 that's where I would be.  Spin that flywheel as fast as you can, who cares where the torque curve is its only there for a split second there isn't enough load on the engine to make a difference after the first ten feet anyway.
Ryan Kerr  519-332-9532
2007 Troy Bilt Grand National Super Modified Champion.
2008 WOO Outlaw/FXT Champion.
2008 All American Lawnmower Championship Outlaw Twin Champion.
2010 WOO Outlaw/FXT Champion.
2010 All American Twin Outlaw class Champion
2012 USLMRA FX/T National Champion
2012 All American FXT Champion

Offline Miller Racing

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2024, 09:10:15 pm »
My experience in those classes Kohler is hard to out run. Always ran tall gear depending on track length. Kohler has the torque to pull it. Like Ryan said I set my under 3650 most times when it gets hot it will crawl. These are my experiences