Author Topic: Advice for marrying peerless 801 to horizontal shaft engine?  (Read 5349 times)

Offline zimirken

• View Profile
Advice for marrying peerless 801 to horizontal shaft engine?
« on: August 26, 2021, 01:49:05 pm »
I'm building a... go fast device. I've got a beautiful old briggs model 14 flat head. I'm picking up a peerless 801 transaxle this weekend. I'm looking for advice on how to marry the two together.

I've kinda narrowed it down to a couple options in order of preference:

1. Run the peerless on its side

2. with engine in the front, run a long twisted v belt to the back. (with separate belt clutch)

3. buy some bevel gears on ebay and build a right angle gearbox.

4. somehow give the peerless a horizontal input?

1. Run the peerless on its side.
First, it's free. However, I need to know what areas will be starved of lubrication. It wouldn't be too hard (for me) to add an oil pump and pump oil to some ports drilled in the case. I've got all the parts I would need to do this.

2. twisted v belt
I don't know why this is above right angle gear box, other than maybe cost. It seems less than ideal.

3. right angle gearbox.
It's kind of expensive. It would be $40-50 for the bevel gears and time and effort machining a case for them. I'd rather not do that.

4. horizontal input mod?
This seems like it wouldn't be SUPER hard, since the gear shafts are already horizontal. I probably can't machine a whole new longer input shaft that sticks out of the case though.

I've got machining skills and access to a sizable CNC, however metal stock is expensive beyond what I already have laying around. I'm leaning towards option 1. I'd need to remove all the grease and use gear oil, drill an intake port at the new bottom of the case, and drill some outlet ports where lube now needs to go, and plumb it up with some tubing and a little pump, which I have. What do you think?

Offline RoMow

• View Profile
Re: Advice for marrying peerless 801 to horizontal shaft engine?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 11:20:21 am »
Zimirken, 

1.  Peerless Gear transaxles can be run with the input shaft in a horizontal position with the axle towards the bottom, cluster gears up.  This does not normally create a lubrication issue, but it probably wouldn't hurt to add 6-8 oz. of Lucas Gear Oil Additive. 
       Gear oil doesn't work well with the 801s because they are not made with lip-style seals, just O-rings, and will leak gear oil during normal operation.  You'd have to modify the case to accept lip-style seals like the MST 200s use with gear oil. 

2.  Corvairs have been doing this since 1959, and are still doing it.  This is the easiest way to solve your problem, as long as you align the pulleys correctly.  Find someone in your area with a Corvair and study the pulley alignment. 

3.  Peerless already offers right-angle gearboxes.  Get one off a boneyard commercial walk-behind mower deck. 

4.  This would be the best but most-expensive solution, except that the outer end of the shaft on the right side rides in a bronze bushing.  You'd also have to modify the case to fit a ball or needle bearing to support the end of the shaft.  Unless you'd want to extend the left end of the shaft, which already rides in a ball bearing.  With a belt-tension load, though, you'd probably need a double bearing. 

Respectfully, 
Rodney 
"No matter how many material possessions or awards you may acquire in your lifetime, the only thing you will ever truly own is your reputation." (Age 73)

Offline RoMow

• View Profile
Re: Advice for marrying peerless 801 to horizontal shaft engine?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 12:40:51 pm »
Zimirken, 

After doing some further research, I learned that the Deere Aercore 800 aerator uses a 25HP Kohler Command horizontal-shaft engine and a Peerless 820 transaxle, with a twisted-belt drive: 
https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/navigation/equipment/76212/level/2/snp/MjU2NzY5NTpDSEFQVEVSWzEwNjE6I0JVU0lORVNTX1JFR0lPTiwzNDQxOiNDQVRBTE9HLDc2MjEyOkVRVUlQTUVOVF0

You might want to stop by your local Deere dealer and check out the parts for your setup.  Might save you some time and unnecessary custom engineering. 

Rodney 
"No matter how many material possessions or awards you may acquire in your lifetime, the only thing you will ever truly own is your reputation." (Age 73)