Mower Building / Setup Help > Chassis

Easy Radius Rods!

(1/12) > >>

Tom Fox:
All right for all of you who make these radius rods at home without a lathe...........I got a nice shortcut for making radius rods for your steering, brake & clutch linkages.

I use 3/8" rod ends on most of my linkages and tried the ol' drill and tap of a solid piece of aluminum and found it to be a frustrating trying to get a perfectly centered and straight hole drilled into it using a hand drill and a vice. Then you tap it and see crooked the tap is going in due to the wonderful hole you tried to drill straight!

Well...Here was my solution.....

I ordered a 8 foot long length of aluminum round tube from McMaster-Carr.

This tube has a O.D. of .563 and a I.D. of .327

Cut it to your desired length and tap it...No need to drill because the I.D. is perfect for a 3/8-24 tap!

The 8' length has a price of $10.58 +shipping (Dirt cheap......cost me less than $7.00 for shipping)

McMaster-Carr Part Number 1658T47

www.MCMASTER.com

I can make a total of 10 radius rods out of a 8' length of this tubing for my racer.

Being a 8' length....plenty left over to make spares to bring to the races!

Squidd:
Hey..I like that.. Gonna pick a chunk up on my next order...

Did they ship that UPS..???

rather_be_racin:
nice tip mowmanracer  ;)

Tom Fox:

--- Quote from: Squidd on March 13, 2007, 09:03:01 pm ---Hey..I like that.. Gonna pick a chunk up on my next order...

Did they ship that UPS..???

--- End quote ---

UPS!!  Ordered yesterday morning...Had a 8' long shipping tube sitting in front of my garage when I got home at 5pm today!!  

I'm very impressed with that company...I have placed many orders and have had the best luck.

Squidd:
I reccomend them a lot...for most hardware and misc stuff...very reasonable and quick to ship...

I actually have a paper catalog here...thing is like 3" thick... :woo:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version