Author Topic: peerless MST206 565 questions  (Read 3641 times)

Offline 2088bob

• View Profile
peerless MST206 565 questions
« on: June 13, 2021, 06:05:17 am »
hello to everyone  introduced myself in your  newbie section  i am a big gear head  veteran of many sand rail builds      my brother and i have run a small custom chassis fabshop for a lot of years  in our off 
2019 i was hit from behind by a drunk driver while out training on my bicycle  i am spending the rest of my life in a wheelchair
the project is a gas powered mobility scooter  i refuse to be limited by battery reserves ,i have no need of being able to take this inside stores ,it will not be run in rain or snow , i am not looking for a go kart something i can jump on and run across town to see my folks cruise thru the conservation area next to my home   etc
initially we were going to go with a hydro static drive but  have come around to the idea of using a geared trans ( i now have a very clean tuff torq k61c transaxle for sale)

so  what i have is a 14.5 ohv single briggs 3 in total acutally   the afore mentioned mts206  i bought 3 complete tractors for 200 bucks

so this mts is brand new not a reman   it will not ever see any of the jerky back and forth motion of cutting grass it will always be operated on smooth paved roads or fine hard pack gravel bike paths

again i am sorry about all the stupid questions but you can't learn anything if you don't ask questions
1) does this trans need to be clutched between every shift
2) i am looking for a max ground speed of 22mph rear tires are 18" dia 
3)how much can i exceed the rated 2000 rpm input shaft speed
4) i will have a vertical jack shaft in the build      hoping to set input shaft speed to drive at approx 2500rpm while only turning the motor around 15/1600 rpm  is this possible

i will be posting more questions in a day or 2

thanks

Offline 2088bob

• View Profile
Re: peerless MST206 565 questions
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 06:14:54 am »
 i will also be adding a gokart disc brake  on either side of the transaxle     or is the  internal brake of the  transaxle good enough as a service brake     or is it more of a parking park

Offline 2088bob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 03:07:21 pm »
if i have too or want to change out the tht clay type lube for a premium 90 weight synthetic   i would also like to add a drain plug with a magnet

Offline RoMow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 08:10:08 pm »
Hello Bob, 

"Again I am sorry about all the stupid questions but you can't learn anything if you don't ask questions." 
A wise teacher once told me that, with a few exceptions, "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask." 

"1) Does this trans need to be clutched between every shift?" 
Yes.  A better answer is that if you are shifting "on the go," the transaxle needs to be "unloaded."  In other words, moving the shift keys between gears with the engine still applying a load to the transaxle will result in rapid damage to the tips of the shift keys and the mating notches of the shift gears. 

"2) I am looking for a maximum ground speed of 22 mph; rear tires are 18" diameter." 
I doubt you will be able to get close to 22 mph with the MST transaxle.  You would need to turn the input shaft 6000-7500 rpm to achieve 22 mph with 18" tires.  Maximum recommended tire diameter for the MST is 20".  An 820 transaxle with a Gearset Upgrade on the final-drive gears would allow the speed you are wanting. 

"3) How much can I exceed the rated 2000 rpm input-shaft speed?" 
I wouldn't recommend more than 3000 rpm unless you plan on replacing your input-shaft bearings regularly. 

"4) I will have a vertical jackshaft in the build...hoping to set input-shaft speed to drive at approx 2500 rpm while only
    turning the motor around 1500/1600 rpm.  Is this possible?" 
Possible, but not recommended.  Your 14.5 B&S OHV single is air-cooled, and the slower you run it, the less cooling air you have flowing over the cylinder fins.  You will overheat your engine quickly running it below 3000 rpm.  Best to run it at the maximum governed speed -- 3400-3600 rpm. 

"I will also be adding a go-kart disc brake on either side of the transaxle or is the internal brake of the transaxle good
    enough as a service brake or is it more of a parking (brake)?" 
Go with the go-kart disc brakes.  There is no internal brake on the MST transaxles, and the external brake is, as Peerless Gear states, a "parking brake," even though most mower OEMs use it as the vehicle brake. 

"If I have to or want to change out the clay-type lube for a premium 90 weight synthetic, I would also like to add a drain
    plug with a magnet." 
MST transaxles already use a petroleum-base 80W-90 gear oil, not the clay-based Bentonite grease.  Adding a drain plug would be possible, but with the design of the MST bottom case, one drain plug will not drain all the oil -- you would need four drain plugs, one at the bottom of each section.  And as thin as the case is, you would need to weld on thicker reinforcements where you wanted plugs.

Hope this helps. 

Respectfully, 
Rodney Rom 
Rom's Reworks 
Butler, MO 
"No matter how many material possessions or awards you may acquire in your lifetime, the only thing you will ever truly own is your reputation." (Age 73)

Offline 2088bob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 07:38:25 pm »
thank you for answering my questions    turning the input shaft at 2500 rpm  with a 18"  tall tire  what approximately could i expect for ground speed      and next question where could one acquire  the higher speed gear set you spoke of

Offline 2088bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 12:06:42 am »
what potentially  would be the top ground speed available     turning the transaxle at 2000  in 6th gear on an 18" tire     what would be the approx  top speed

Offline RoMow

• View Profile
"No matter how many material possessions or awards you may acquire in your lifetime, the only thing you will ever truly own is your reputation." (Age 73)