Author Topic: 14.5 Briggs Stratton on yard machine  (Read 4953 times)

Offline HutchMachine

• View Profile
14.5 Briggs Stratton on yard machine
« on: May 05, 2021, 02:45:58 am »
I have a late 90s yard machine. It has the 14.5 ohv and I attempted a pulley swap on the main pulley and tried to remove the governor. I have managed to make it go faster, but the brakes stopped working. Me and my boy work on this together and we decided to put it back to the stock pulley setup until we can build something that functions better.
 I?m on a tight budget and don?t know wether to purchase a different engine and build it up and convert it to RAGB, new axles, chain driven, new steering and pedals.
 The other option is build up the 14.5 engine in the mower now, and try to run a smaller pulley on the transaxle and upgrade brakes, steering, and all the other mods one does as things break. I would like to make a monster of a drag mower that handles like a racing mower. I don?t have a class, just like working on it with my son and it is good for going all out because mistakes won?t be in the thousands like Diesel engines. Any advice or conversation is welcome and appreciated.

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: 14.5 Briggs Stratton on yard machine
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 03:27:35 pm »
If you are on a tight budget keep it governed.  It will save you money in the long run. 

First upgrade the brakes.   Or you or your son will get hurt.   

Check out the build section.  Just because you aren?t going to ?race? it all the safety stuff still applies. 
Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline HutchMachine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 04:28:48 pm »
He doesn?t get free reign with it. I always have some manner of governing when he uses it and normally I?m with him. Once it?s built to go fast only I will be on it until it is safe. He rides it stock, or works on it with me. I shouldn?t say on a budget, I want to build it all out for 40-50 mph. Right now I have a mechanical bypass on the governor, so I can apply full throttle and take it off when he gets on.

If I?m gonna do brakes first then I need to focus on the rear axle, so it can be converted to a chain drive with a disc on it correct? I have seen a couple videos where guys will pull the innards of the mtd rear axle out and put a sprocket in there. Anyone have thoughts on this?

What?s the first step in addressing the 14.5 ohv engine? Should I build this engine, or plan to purchase a bigger better engine?

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 06:11:29 pm »
What your wanting is going to cost some cash. 

Ditch the transaxle unless you find an 820.

You need real disk brakes mounted on the axle.

You need a full built chassis.  Stock parts will fail at the speed you want to achieve.

Wheels.  Spindles.

I?d start with a v twin.   It will need to be built.  Including a billet flywheel. 

You are looking at several thousands of dollars to go 40-50 MPH. 

Paul Krueger

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline HutchMachine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 08:30:59 pm »
Would it be worth building the 14.5 to save some cash? Could it still be pretty fast? I?m about to get a newer MTD from my dad with a 17.5 hp motor.

Really, several thousand? Maybe 2-3 thousand at most right? I?ll be doing all the work.

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 08:50:56 am »
To be honest with you it would be cheaper to buy one that is already done than to start fresh. 

Look for a used built engine. New parts will be around $1500 just for the engine.  You can find used parts for much less.

Yes you will sink a lot of money in doing it right.   You are modifying a machine to go 50 mph when it is designed to go 5 mph.
Paul Krueger

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline HutchMachine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 09:33:55 am »
1500 for an engine isn?t bad, there not that many parts. When you said several I was thinking 12,000. I like rebuilding automatic transmissions and Diesel engines, most of the fun will be building the engine myself, but I will keep watch for a built engine for sale.

What about rear axles, can you give me some stats or popular parts used. I have see. The weld in support for bearings or races then you just slide your custom axle through.

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 09:49:36 am »
Check out the build section.  All the answers to your questions are there.

Paul Krueger

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline HutchMachine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 10:41:10 am »
By the way I realize I confused several and a dozen, that?s my bad. Idk why I had a gap in my memory about several and dozen. Thanks I?ll do some reading.

anything