Author Topic: peerless 820 transaxle  (Read 5072 times)

Offline VICTORVIKING 713

• View Profile
peerless 820 transaxle
« on: March 29, 2021, 09:30:48 pm »
So I'm planning on putting a 820 in my viking/murray but I need a long shift shaft for it, can someone send me a part number or can i take the long shift shaft out of my spicer and put it in an 820?

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
Re: peerless 820 transaxle
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 09:03:28 am »
Try EC carb, they used to have kits for these.
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline VICTORVIKING 713

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 12:12:24 am »
Thank you and one more question, I heard that you can put the gears from mst transaxles and 700 transmissions are interchangable, what is the fastest gear ratio you can get for them?

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 06:24:11 pm »
That I'm not sure of, and I don't want to give not sure info. I have not heard that they are interchangeable but I have not run the 820 trans axle. When you call EC Carb ask them, they might know.

Offline PJG56

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 05:53:03 am »
That I'm not sure of, and I don't want to give not sure info. I have not heard that they are interchangeable but I have not run the 820 trans axle. When you call EC Carb ask them, they might know.
Al ,if memory serves me right,I believe all the gears swap from an 820 to a 700 series trans,the input shaft does not swap though some 800 series had larger input shafts in them
Paul Guptill  (oppy) #238modX
2012 slmra mowstock champion(builder/owner)

2013 slmra mowdified champion(builder/owner)
2013 ARMA national champion Mod-X(builder/owner)
2014 ARMA national champion Mod-X(builder/owner)
2014 All American Champion Mod-X/CP(builder/owner)
2014All American Champion FXT (engine builder)
2014 All American 2nd place SP(builder/owner)
2015 All American 2nd place BP (builder/owner)
2016 OutlawTriple Crown FXT Champion (engine builder)

Offline VICTORVIKING 713

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 04:25:38 am »
Okay, thank you.

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 11:39:43 am »
Paul, that makes since. I just have not messed with the 820, but have a bunch of time with the 700. I'll remember that.

Offline RoMow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 06:03:17 pm »
Victor, 

Only two 820s used the tall shift shaft (Paul -- not input shaft) -- the 820-029 and the 820-037.  The shaft on the short (standard) shift shaft is 1/2" (0.500") O.D.  The tall shift shaft (P/N 784377) is 9/16" (0.562") O.D.  They are the same internally.  You can use the tall shift shaft on any late-model 820 (with the full-length 1-1/8" O.D. shift-key cluster-gear shaft), BUT you will need to ream out the shift-shaft hole in the top cover to accept the 9/16" shaft. 

The 784377 Tall Shift Shafts are obsolete from Peerless; I have one new-takeoff shift shaft left in stock. 

Or...you can make an extension for the short shift shaft, if you're using the between-the-legs shifter.  I did this for another Kansas City-area customer.  Works well. 

And my other posts give all the ratios for the 820s, the MST 200s, and the 700s.  They are all interchangeable, but the 820 gears are all cut-steel, heat-treated gears; some of the MST and 700 gears are powdered metal.

Respectfully, 
Rodney Rom 
"No matter how many material possessions or awards you may acquire in your lifetime, the only thing you will ever truly own is your reputation." (Age 73)

Offline VICTORVIKING 713

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 12:00:14 am »
Thank you so much!

Offline RoMow

• View Profile
Re: Peerless 820 transaxle
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 12:35:25 pm »
Victor, 

I'm attaching the pictures of the shift-shaft extension I made for the Kansas City customer.  It isn't that difficult to do. 

Photo 1 shows the parts I used to make the extension.  The piece of square stock and the two short spacers on the right side of the picture are only for aligning and assembling the extension.  The 1/4"-28 SAE All-Thread in the center is what will hold the extension to the transaxle shift shaft.  The shift arm in the lower-left corner can be any shift arm -- you will be cutting off most of it, only keeping enough to weld the long spacer tube to.  The U-shaped piece at the top-left is the original Murray shift yoke. 
   The long shift shaft is 4-1/4" longer than the standard 820 short shift shaft.  With the 1/4" thickness of the shift arm, the long spacer will need to be 3" long (See NOTE 2 below).  I used a piece of 7/8" ID by 1-1/8" OD (1/8" wall) mild steel tubing -- it was what I had in my stockpile.

Photo 2 shows the extension parts aligned, ready to weld.  Since the key stock has to extend beyond the bottom and top pieces to keep them aligned, the short spacers go around the extended key stock so all three pieces can be clamped with a long C-clamp for welding. 

Photo 3 shows the parts welded together.  The key-stock piece is critical in keeping the transaxle shift-arm and the Murray shift-yoke squares aligned for proper shifting alignment.  Once welded, the key stock can be removed. 

And Photo 4 shows the extension installed on a new 5-speed Peerless 820-001B made-for-Murray transaxle.  This will also fit the 6-speed 820-040 transaxle, but the 820-040 has a 3/4" input shaft instead of the 5/8" input shaft used on Murrays.  Actually, it will fit any 820 with the short shift shaft, if you have another 820 you want to use on your Murray. 

NOTE 1:  When installing the 1/4" All-Thread into the transaxle shift shaft, the 3/8" square hole in the Murray yoke will allow unacceptable slop at the top, so you'll need a shouldered bushing in the square yoke hole to keep the All-Thread from moving around.  I cut off a short piece of a Kohler Flywheel Fan Spacer, P/N 24 112 04-S, from a Kohler Command engine to make this bushing (See next thread in this Post).  Unfortunately, this Spacer is obsolete from Kohler, so unless you have a junk Kohler in your boneyard, you'll need to come up with your own spacer.  A flat washer, lock washer, and nut will finish the installation; I'd recommend a Nylock nut. 
   And I use blue Loctite on all the threads for security. 

NOTE 2:  The 820-037 long-shift-shaft made-for-Murray transaxle also used a tall input shaft that extended the 5/8" pulley-mount section one inch (1.0") above the input-shaft post on the top cover.  This was to keep the transaxle pulley aligned with the engine and idler pulleys with the extended mounts for the axle housings and the mower chassis.  Using a standard short input shaft 820 on a Murray lawn tractor will work fine, and will allow the 3"-long extension tube to put the shifter exactly where it needs to be.  If you are using the 820 on a Murray garden tractor, you will need to use a 4"-long extension tube and the taller input shaft.

Respectfully, 
Rodney Rom 
"No matter how many material possessions or awards you may acquire in your lifetime, the only thing you will ever truly own is your reputation." (Age 73)

Offline RoMow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2021, 01:54:25 pm »
   The aluminum Kohler 24 112 04-S Fan Spacer mentioned in the previous thread is shown in the below picture.  The pencil line is where I cut the spacer 3/16" from the shoulder.  When cut, the finished spacer dimensions are: 
1/4" (0.250") ID 
3/8" (0.375") small OD, 1/4" (0.250") long 
1/2" (0.500") large OD, 3/16" (0.187") long 
   If you are making your own spacer from scratch, you can make the large OD larger for more support, if you want. 

Respectfully, 
Rodney Rom 

Offline VICTORVIKING 713

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 10:57:04 am »
Wow thank you so much!