Author Topic: How fast can I spin a stock craftsman transaxle?  (Read 2825 times)

Offline Knoot

• View Profile
How fast can I spin a stock craftsman transaxle?
« on: March 24, 2021, 12:11:02 am »
I have what I believe is a DANA 4360-140 transaxle, with the stock 3.5 inch pulley in the front, and a 3 incher in the back. It's going around 14mph with the current setup, but I'd like to swap to a 5.5 in the front, and a 2.05 in the back, which works out to roughly 35mph. Thing is, I know the stock transaxle isn't meant to go 9000rpm, but it's already going about 3 times as fast as stock.

Will the stock transaxle hold up? Is there anything I need to do to make it tougher?

Offline RoMow

• View Profile
Re: How fast can I spin a stock craftsman transaxle?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 03:45:04 pm »
Knoot, 

"Will the stock transaxle hold up?" 
Probably not for long.  Recommended input RPM is 2000.  Beyond that is tempting fate, especially since there are very few DANA repair parts or replacement transaxles left out there. 

"Is there anything I need to do to make it tougher?" 
Replace it with a Peerless 820.  Higher-speed final-drive gearsets are available for the 820s that allow your axles to turn faster without overspeeding your input shaft. 

Respectfully, 
Rodney Rom 
DANA Certified
Peerless Gear Master Technician 
Rom's Reworks 
Butler, MO 
"No matter how many material possessions or awards you may acquire in your lifetime, the only thing you will ever truly own is your reputation." (Age 73)