Author Topic: parts interchange, V to H shaft engines  (Read 4630 times)

Offline wmartin1

• View Profile
parts interchange, V to H shaft engines
« on: October 14, 2020, 04:34:05 pm »
Hi,
New to the forum, just looking for knowledge! Have a good running model 402707 1270 01 9412195B vertical twin, but would be better served with a horizontal shaft motor of similar size. Not racing it, putting on big air compressor to replace 10hp 3-phase motor. I can get a 32hp right angle gearbox for this, but it's just a nicer package with a horizontal shaft engine...just the "right" way to do the job. Now, the question(s): Is it reasonable to look for a horizontal engine carcass & attempt to put my good parts from the vertical shaft in bottom housing from a horizontal engine or is that just a pipe dream? Or should I just look to sell the vertical & buy a decent complete horizontal shaft unit? Actually, I have the complete mower that the vertical is on now, if anybody has trading material & could use that. The gearbox on it is stuck in gear, which is how I came to get this for not a lot of money...on the chance it might be useful.
Thanks for any info/opinions(pls be polite!),
Bill M.

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: parts interchange, V to H shaft engines
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 06:24:16 pm »
Is this an opposed flathead twin or a OHV v-twin? 

I wouldn’t mess with a gear box.    I’d run the horizontal shaft for sure. 

How do you plan on shutting the compressor down when it reaches pressure?   

I wouldn’t mess with piecing together old engine parts if you want it to be reliable.  I’d go get a Harbor Freight Predator v-twin.  They are pretty good engines for the money.  Parts are available if you have issues.  There are even guys building aftermarket upgraded parts for them!!
Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline wmartin1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 06:00:24 pm »
Thanks for the reply! It is the older opposed twin L-head, as for how to control the compressor action, I have some pressure switches that came with the compressor & tank, the plan is to just pull the throttle with a solenoid when pressure drops to low set point, release throttle when high pressure set point is reached. The engine will be coupled via centrifugal clutch, so no worries about starting or bogging down when off throttle. I totally agree about not wanting to go the gearbox route for coupling engine & compressor, it's just messy. But dollars may outweigh sense here!  I'm an old retired dude, so not about to sink money into something that will be used occasionally if I can help it. The brand new surplus gearbox is $150 + $30 shipping, which may mean that I stick with what I have & know is in good running order. Not to mention I don't see a lot of common part numbers among those old flathead engines...engineers running amuck!

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 07:17:16 pm »
Cool plan!  The old opposed will run a long time if you take care of it and keep the RPM’s low.  The carbs can be a pain but easy to work on.

Good part is that if it ever dies you can bolt in a big OHV single.  Those things are cheap and plentiful.

Post pics when it is done!

Paul Krueger

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline wmartin1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 11:32:51 pm »
Thanks! Speaking of rpms, where might I find a plot of torque/hp for this engine? I'm thinking it would be good to run at the torque peak, which should help with keeping the rpm steady under changing load, as the air pressure comes up. Maybe not a big deal, just thinking out loud a bit.

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 10:35:41 am »
I’m sure factory is set at 3650 for max RPM’s.  I’m going to guess you will have plenty of power to run it at whatever speed you’d like. 

Paul Krueger

Easy Parcheesy Racing

anything