Author Topic: The "NEW" 700's out there  (Read 4608 times)

Offline Tom Fox

• Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
The "NEW" 700's out there
« on: May 19, 2016, 10:16:18 am »
Hi Everyone!

It has been a looooong time since I posted but will be returning to racing NEXT season after a many many year involvement with other venues in life...

I see since I have been somewhat distant from this sport, that PRO-GEAR ( http://progear1.com/transmissions/ ) is manufacturing "replacement" 700 series transmissions and wondering if there has been anyone on here that has any input on them.

I see them advertised on ebay as well as other sites for around $150 or so. The used market I see is asking $100+ for used 700's and my local "used parts" connections are getting slim pickens!! (not the singer!)..LOL

So if anyone has any input they would like to share (quality, issues,compatibility with genuine Peerless components) , please reply or if you want, send me a PM!! 

Thanks!!!

-Tom
Tom Fox       
Brookfield, CT

Offline Flipper

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: The "NEW" 700's out there
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 01:58:57 pm »
 I believe the Pro Gear Tranny's are made outside of the United States.
I have had a couple brought to me to fix, the parts are not interchangeable and significantly different.
 As far as reliability…..dunno…..the fact that they are new and were brought to me to fix does not give me a good impression.
I have heard of some complaints from drivers but have not used one myself. Parts are an issue to ....can't seem to find any. Even my local Lawn & Garden parts supplier can't find them(and they are pretty darn good).

So, with that being said.....As long as you consider it disposable, you're OK.
Flipper
Maryland Mafia Mower Racing Team (The Sod Father) President
Mason Dixon Lawn Mower Racing Association Chief Technical Director 2016, 2017
Mason Dixon Lawn Mower Racing Association Vice President 2018
2008 BP 1st Place Champion Delmarva LMRA
2008 2nd Place Champion Super Sportsman - Tri State LMRA
2009 Delmarva LMRA Presidents Award
2012 2nd Place Champion Super Sportsman North East National Division ARMA
2013, 2014, 2015 BP 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA
2013 Mod-XR 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA
2014, 2015, 2016, Mod-XR-T 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA & VLMRA
2013, 2014, 2015 IMOW 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017  Presidents Award for Excellence Mason
2017 North American ARMA National 1st Place Champion Mod-XR-T Class

Offline Kokamo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 04:31:18 pm »
Check out this U.S.A. built trans from BoNewCo and read the description..... http://www.bonewco.com/peerless-700-racing-mower-transmission/

It's a 700-139 trans built for racers. I got mine in the mail, but still currently setting up a new BP build with it and don't have any longevity experience. I will say, it's a nice unit though. Hopefully it'll hold up to a big V-twin.

~Joe
"Mow" Joe Hopkins
Liberty Hill, Tx

Offline PJG56

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 04:37:11 pm »
Check out this U.S.A. built trans from BoNewCo and read the description..... http://www.bonewco.com/peerless-700-racing-mower-transmission/

It's a 700-139 trans built for racers. I got mine in the mail, but still currently setting up a new BP build with it and don't have any longevity experience. I will say, it's a nice unit though. Hopefully it'll hold up to a big V-twin.

~Joe

I have 2 of these trans and they are as bullet proof as you can get! Well worth the extra money in my opinion.
Paul Guptill  (oppy) #238modX
2012 slmra mowstock champion(builder/owner)

2013 slmra mowdified champion(builder/owner)
2013 ARMA national champion Mod-X(builder/owner)
2014 ARMA national champion Mod-X(builder/owner)
2014 All American Champion Mod-X/CP(builder/owner)
2014All American Champion FXT (engine builder)
2014 All American 2nd place SP(builder/owner)
2015 All American 2nd place BP (builder/owner)
2016 OutlawTriple Crown FXT Champion (engine builder)

Offline Jeff McKelroy

• Professor Ducky
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 10:25:45 pm »
While this 4-Key unit is hard to shift, it's quite strong. Of the two that I've bought the only concerns I'd had were the steel filings as all the spur gears wear-match. These work their way down into the input shaft needle and thrust bearings. The other was these are built with the o-ring seal above the input shaft support bearings. Now whatever your opinion I prefer to remove that o-ring. I also installed a magnet to trap these filings so I would not have to worry about changing the lube as much.

Offline Kokamo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 09:33:24 am »
While this 4-Key unit is hard to shift, it's quite strong. Of the two that I've bought the only concerns I'd had were the steel filings as all the spur gears wear-match. These work their way down into the input shaft needle and thrust bearings. The other was these are built with the o-ring seal above the input shaft support bearings. Now whatever your opinion I prefer to remove that o-ring. I also installed a magnet to trap these filings so I would not have to worry about changing the lube as much.

Good info Jeff. I still need to take it apart for inspection and I'll be doing this. I suppose I'll change the oil every event to keep the metal deposits flushed out.

I knew they were a 4 key and I did notice how hard they are to shift.

I'd like to have a 4th and possibly a 5th gear to install just so I'd have that option. Anyone have a suggestion of a place to purchase these? EC?

~Joe
"Mow" Joe Hopkins
Liberty Hill, Tx

anything