Author Topic: Valve keepers, retainers and Springs 29ci Vangaurd Twin  (Read 3117 times)

Offline Sheikh pip

• View Profile
Valve keepers, retainers and Springs 29ci Vangaurd Twin
« on: January 21, 2016, 04:00:38 pm »
Hi,

I am in the process of modifying a couple of 29ci Vanguard V twin engines, one is model 290442, type 0361-03. It's a 1991 vintage and rated at 12hp. The other is 294442. type 1171-A1, It's of 1997 vintage and 14hp, I want to get these to rev a little higher than the standard engine, but only up to 5000rpm max to prevent the flywheel from exploding.

I've sorted the inlet valve push rod bending issue by using exhaust pushrods on both valves, but now want to sort out the valve retainers, keepers, and valve springs issues, does anyone know the EC part numbers of the modified parts I require, so that I can order them please?

Pip

Offline slideways

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Valve keepers, retainers and Springs 29ci Vangaurd Twin
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 05:07:55 pm »
You dont have anything to worry about.. we run the stock flywheel and stock valvetrain to 6500rpm with no issues. Just get better springs and make sure you have the updated rocker arms not the old style ones. There's a thread deep in the archives with pics of both.
Brian

Offline Sheikh pip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 08:14:43 am »
Thanks for that Slideways, I've done a search on the rockers and have sussed that one out now, much appreciated, but does anyone know the part number for the better springs you suggest, are they the EC 260's? Only they seem to be duel springs, and that seems a little over the top just to rev to 5000 rpm.

Also does anyone know the part number for the newer type rockers, I've just had a look and mine are the old type! 

Pip

Offline Sheikh pip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 04:14:37 am »
Right guys, I still need confirmation of the springs and keepers part numbers, after a few searches on here I suspect the #260 springs  and #262 keepers to be the parts I require, but can anyone confirm this for the 29ci engine?

If it is the #260 springs I need then I presume I don't need to use the inners, does anyone know what revs It'll get to with just the outer #260 springs

Offline slideways

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 09:09:58 am »
Alot of guys use just the EC outers for mild builds like this. I use stock Briggs springs. I cant recall the part number though. But they are the only ones they offer now as they've superceded to just one valve spring for most of the vanguards old or new.
Brian

Offline Sheikh pip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 06:06:02 am »
Sorted the valve springs now, "Classic" Mini Cooper S (inners) are exactly the same size as the ones I have on my 29ci Vangaurd engine, not sure about the amount of revs they'll get to yet though, but they are stiffer than the standard ones.

anything