Author Topic: GX340 smokes  (Read 11878 times)

Offline garretttpe

• View Profile
GX340 smokes
« on: November 06, 2015, 02:30:21 pm »
Hi All
Newbie here with a question. I have a GX340 GC05-3127412. can any one tell me what year it is. I can't seem to find out.
SMOKE QUESTION. This motor was given to a Amish friend of mine and it smokes alot at all speeds continually. I tore it down and the valve stem seals appear to be hard and not soft so I am sure that is problem 1. When I removed the head there was oil sitting on top of the piston, about a half a eye dropper amount. The piston head is clean and not carbined up. The cylinder walls have good cross thatching with very very miner horizontal lines. With the cylinder wall all cleaned I removed the spark plug and turned the engine over with a drill for about a minute to simulate it running and a very very small amount of oil was forming on the cylinder wall.

1. Are my rings bad
2. Do I need to re hone the cylinder wall
3. I assume new valve stem seals
This engine will be used on many different types of equtment they use so I will not be doing any mode. It starts on 2 pulls and runs perfect except for the bad smoking

There was a round spacer under the exhaust valve ontop of the head, but not the intake is this correct?

Plus I would like to know a good place to call and order factory stuff at a fair price. I am in Northern Maine if that Matters

Thanks to all for advice on this
Larry

Offline rotten ron

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: GX340 smokes
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 04:41:42 pm »
Seem like it needs rings,when using a high lift cam there is sometimes no room for valve seals and even with no seals they don't smoke

Offline Huffy044

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 12:05:27 pm »
Might also have been the head gasket, the area between the valves and crankcase, kinda hard to see.

In the future simply take a old spark plug, knock pout the guts, add a air fitting and pressurize the engine, if you hear air from the intake valve or exhaust valve or it comes out the crankcase breather, you have found the problem. In this case if you had done  that AND the head gasket was blown, you would have heard air coming out of the oil fill. You might have assumed it was the rings, ?
VLMRA Singles Points Champion 2006
VLMRA Mini Champion 2007
VLMRA Sportsman Champion 2007
VLMRA Pro-X Champion 2008, 2009
ARMA Sportsman of the Year 2008
ARMA South East Region Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012
ARMA National Champion Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013
Maxton NC Model A Record Holder 118.54
VGMR 1932 Model A roadster world record 165.8

Offline berthyd

• Turf Warrior
  • Voted of the Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 01:13:27 pm »
Nicorette gum helps to stop smoking.

Bert
Gary Busey and Rick James both used to live in my shop. Redline stole them.

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 01:26:37 pm »
ONLY IF YOU CHEW IT
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!