Author Topic: Hello from east Texas!  (Read 4440 times)

Offline Mowermangreg

• View Profile
Hello from east Texas!
« on: November 10, 2014, 05:36:47 pm »
The name's Greg, but you can call me whatever ya want, just so long as if yer cookin', don't call me late for supper!

I digress. I've always wanted to build a racing mower, and I finally have one to build, so I thought, what better place to start this journey than with heymow!

I've got what I believe is a mid 80s craftsman II, mostly cuz it says craftsman II on the side (yep I'm pretty perceptive!) it's got a 16hp opposed twin. I got it for free from an older neighbor, said it wouldn't start anymore and he didn't know why. Naturally I got it started pretty easy, little ground wire on the bottom of the coil was jimmied, got that handled and it fired right up. Runs good and healthy, nice and clean inside and out, no smoke, or anything. Strong compression, and etc. I'm actually really surprised at the shape of the engine, considering the deck was held on by baling wire and prayers.

Anyway I'll find a place to ask my questions around here somewhere, if I can find my way out of the kitchen.
But I'll list everything I hope to learn here first.

1 my end goal is to build a drag mower, something that goes fast in a strait line and cut the tires loose easy.
 Keeping that in mind I'm not so worried about steering modifications, since it will never be making hard turns.

2 I'll add pics later once I get on my phone, maybe someone could tell me the model number. I assume it's got a 5 speed tranny but it could be 6, the markings are gone. Also, where can I locate the model numbers for the engine and transaxle?

3 If anyone knows which tranny mine has, can it be welded fairly easy?

4 What gear ratio would you recommend? Best acceleration from a standing stop is the goal.

5 I'm not planning to remove the governor or exceed 4 grand on the tach if I can avoid it, I don't have the money to upgrade the flywheel or rods.

6 recommendations for cheap brake soulutions?

8 how much will ride height make a difference with my build?

7 anything else I need to know about or consider?

Seems like everything I can think of right now, but I got a bad case of CRS so I'll update if need be.

OH- see already happening, I want to build a nice LOUD exhaust, but save my valves, so what would you all recommend?

Thanks everyone, I think I'll quite enjoy myself here. Where's the living room?

Offline Racerchck51

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • I'm just one of the guys.
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from east Texas!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 07:39:59 pm »
Hi Greg.

Where you from?
If you're gonna race in Texas I highly recommend circle track instead of drag mowers. I've done both and let me just say youll have more races if your a circle track and join the lsmra. Drag mowers really are fun, but they dont have the safety and security that the circle track mowers do.

1:Like I said not to discourage your creativity circle track is better.

2: The motor should have a little metal tag with some numbers on it. Somewhere on the top or the side of the motorhood. Im not exactly on an oppy. The transaxle should have some numbers on the bottom side somewhere ifbi remember correctly. If its an older craftsman. It should have a five speed peerless 700 model.

3: it should be welded easily.

4: On my drag mowers i always had a higher ratio. If you go lsmra there are rules depending on class you chose.

5:Dont cheap out on brakes. They are important.

6: Ride height is important for drag and circle. Very important.

7: Im from texas too youll have all the help you need if you juat pay attention to the advice given.

Race for the little girl in the stands that you used to be!
The one that cheered for every racer no matter who they were!
The one that said Daddy, I can't wait to be on the track like them?

Jenny Wade

Offline Mowermangreg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 12:46:01 am »
Thanks for the information! I'm from a little old town called kemp, it's in Kaufman county.

I'm happy to hear it's likely a peerless tranny.

I've always been a huge fan of drag racing, however I'd be interested in circle track racing just the same  its just that I don't know if I'll ever do much actual racing, so for me, quick acceleration from a stop would be more fun since I may never see any actual action.

I know I should not skip on price for brakes, but I'm currently unemployed and may be for some time, I've recently had a heart attack (yes I am still young, but it runs in the family.) so while I'm recovering I'm trying to spend as much time with this as possible, but I do not have any money to throw into this. I'm quite new to mowers so I assure you I'll heed advice given. It would be pretty cool to meet up with someone who can look at what I have and offer advice. Thanks for your time! I'll add the pics in the morning but it appears to me to be an 85 craftsman II

Offline Mowermangreg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 11:30:39 am »
Sorry it has taken so long to reply, I just picked my mower up from storage yesterday and I have it here at the house. Got it running without any trouble, ground was disconnected on the coil, lol got it for free because of that.

Anyway, upon close inspection tyranny appears to be a foote 4360, though I'm not certain of the model#, but it appears to be externally identical to the 4360. Know anything about this tyranny? 5spd. Hope it'll hold up.

I wasn't able to drive it, clutch pully is trash, seized and bent to HECK and back.

One problem I do forsee is, when I depress the pedal, the clutch pully goes so far it touches the factory engine pully, it appears that it sits within an inch idle, and I think that will be a problem swapping engine pullies. I'm trying to avoid building a whole new clutch assembly, but I'm not sure if reducing the pully size will work. I'm gunna send all my pic to the desktop in a couple minutes and then upload them.

EDIT:
The clutch pully when not engaged also rests on the brakes that engages the brake. I took plenty of pictures, I've just been messing around with the mower and haven't had time to upload. I'm excited to finally have it here at home.

Offline Mowermangreg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 02:14:42 pm »
Ok, so I got the clutch dealt with for the most part, sorry for still lacking in photos, will post them when I get a chance, life's just busy I guess. I should have some time this evening.

Got her running good on her own, but the belt slips off as soon as I put it in gear and then disengage the clutch. Did so several times. Anyone have any ideas as to why that might happen? My first thought would be belt too loose but that's not the case. Maybe just stretched because of cracks, idk.