Author Topic: Pics from the UK  (Read 14320 times)

Anonymous

Pics from the UK
« on: January 10, 2006, 02:21:14 pm »

A few pics of how we do it in the UK - home of all weather mower racing!

Andy
NWLMRA #7 - The Stig
Group 2 Wheels Champion 2005
www.fastmower.co.uk

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Pics from the UK
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 05:52:50 pm »
Running in the mud like that with the "traction" tires loks like fun... :D

But it's gotta be a pain for the scorekeepers, trying to keep track of which "muddy blob" is in the lead... :lol:
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Smokingunz351

• View Profile
Pics from the UK
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 07:20:22 pm »
lol, yea that does look like fun. we need to have a race over here like that. I also like the idea of a 12 hour endurance race. that would be alot of fun.
Custom doesn't come in a box! It comes one saw blade at a time"

Offline mightymowe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Pics from the UK
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 11:23:17 pm »
we ran a couple of races in the mud and they were a lot of fun. If I can figure out how to post some pictures I will show you.
David Peters

Anonymous

Pics from the UK
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 02:53:28 pm »
The Score keeping used to be a problem when it was as muddy as that - but for both the 6 hour and 12 hour races now we use transponders that record lap times and positions and when you last stopped for a cup of tea and just about everything else. In the "good old days" we used to have to keep a bucket of water on hand to clean off the race numbers so the laps you'd done could be counted! The worst thing is seeing where you're going - your eyes are soon full of mud - the helmet visor is no use at all after half a mile - and you usually look very worse for wear for about three days afterwards until your vision returns - I don't know how I drove home after some of our races!

I see there's a lot of talk about you guys running an endurance race over on the USLMRA Yahoo group today - you should go for it - though I gotta warn you - it's instant addiction!

Andy
NWLMRA #7 - The Stig
www.fastmower.co.uk

Anonymous

Pics from the UK
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 02:58:10 pm »
Here's a pic of our 6 hour track from last year - one mile long - and it stayed dry right through the race!!

Andy
NWLMRA #7 - The Stig
www.fastmower.co.uk

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
Pics from the UK
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 03:49:25 pm »
Andy how long is the longest straight and how large of field acre wise would you need to build the size track you show.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline Smokingunz351

• View Profile
Pics from the UK
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 04:01:51 pm »
Good question george. that looks like it would take up alot of space, but would be worth it. a race like that would make or break a mower.

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Pics from the UK
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 04:48:30 pm »
This will not be a speed race. It isn't about how fast one can go. And if it was easy it would have been done already. Thats the beaty of it. I can't wait to do it.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline Smokingunz351

• View Profile
Pics from the UK
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 05:02:17 pm »
It would be interesting to see whos mowers would hold up to 12 hours of abuse. i know in a race like that i would be happy to at least finish. but if we were to have a race like that one, i would jump at it the first chance i got.

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Pics from the UK
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 06:05:12 pm »
I imagin there are some rules and regulations "specific" to that type of racing...

Do guys run 10 gallon gas tanks or are you limited to say 1 gallon so you "have" to pit...

Are there mandatory stops required....?

One driver one mowchine, or do you alternate drivers...?

Can you enter a backup mowchine..Maybe a "day" mowchine and a "night" prepared mowchine...?

Lot's to be concidered to what you can and cannot do to an enduro style race...

Are these specially prepared mowchines, or your standard short track racers...?
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Pics from the UK
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 08:56:39 pm »
It will have to be a US legal mower, no additional fuel tanks. Must be the normal or original tanks used now. MAy come up with a maximum cap. Stops are not mandatory but they will have to be made and driver changes made. 3 to 4 drivers per team. Only 1 mower no back up except all the back up parts you can fit in your pits. If a 12 hour and 3 drivers you drive each driver in 2 hour shifts. Or what ever but you make equal so not to kill one or the other. As for what mower like I said a US legal mower. I would not run my 4000.00 BP race motor in this event. Yank it off and slap a stock motor on it. Have a back up, you blow it you change it. Same with any other part!!! And an engine change can only be mmade if initial motor is terminal. OR no motor swaps allowed you blow you out!!! There will be rules for this event. Specific to this event, I am simply sturring up insterst to get things rolling. It will happen just a matter of time.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
Pics from the UK
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 10:26:55 am »
Well actually guys the field wouldn't have to be so large. If you take Andy's comments up there on the track being a mile long, you're only talking a 1/4 mile each side if the track's square, (which it sorta wanders around a bit)... But, you're only talking a 40 acre field worst case scenario there.

You do have to figure room for parking and pits as well however, so you better look for 80 acres and a BIG crew to haul straw bales! (o;?

Anonymous

Pics from the UK
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 12:55:36 pm »
Hi all,

Just got in from work and wondered how this thread would have developed through the day!!

Answers to questions first:

The field in the picture was our six hour field from the past couple of years - its roughly 18 acres, and the long straight up the left hand side of the pic was around 300 metres - so add a few if you want it in yards!! We fitted all the campers and caravans in the "top end" and the marquee/catering was more or less in the middle of the picture. This being a "club race" it's not really advertised to the public so we didn't have to worry about somewhere to put them as well - you guys would probably have to do things a bit differently I guess with the sponsors to keep happy?

No backup machines are allowed - if it breaks and you can't fix it then you're out. You can take whatever you like with you in order to fix it though. No big fuel tanks allowed. Max three drivers per team - and the driver stints are as long as you want to run - not many teams do more than 45 minutes at a time. You can change pit strategies as you like depending on what's going on and how you feel!

The machines are the same ones we run all season generally - though there are one or two that only seem to come out for the big races. Our biggest difference to you guys is that everyone here runs a single speed transmission. The Peerless boxes aren't up to our racing conditions here - a few guys have tried them from time to time but they don't last more than a race or two. So - the art is in getting the gearing low enough so you don't bog in the twisty bits, but high enough so you can keep the motor together on the long straights - remember our engines are stock apart from governers and exhausts. I have an advantage of sorts in that I run in a class that's a bit different to the rest and we can run torque converters - makes gear selection a lot easier - one sprocket for all season and one for the 6 hour!

George said it wasn't a speed race - which is partly true - but these races are the biggest tracks we run over here and so also happen to be about the fastest as well! It's a real balancing act at the end of the day - you can't hang about but if you don't make it to the end you don't get placed.  

A lot of machines break - the corners get very rutted and bumpy after an hour or two and we have broken axles and all sorts to contend with. One guy on the USLMRA yahoo group suggested racing on a horse track today - I wouldn't recommend it unless the owners don't mind you destroying their track - it won't be fit for the horseys once you've finished! The field we use is in what we call "set aside" over here - ie it's not currently used for agricultural production, so damage is not a problem - as it will all be ploughed up at some stage anyway.

I really think you guys should keep the momentum going on this - it really could be the "main event" over there as it is over here!

Andy
NWLMRA #7 - The Stig
www.fastmower.co.uk

Deano

Pics from the UK
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 06:26:44 am »
Hi im Deano from the UK, just having a browse...

I would say our 12hour track is actually smaller than the 6hour track,

I believe thats the damage to the track just after practice  :?

Deano
http://www.whos-racing.com