Author Topic: Help  (Read 11836 times)

Offline mike

• View Profile
Help
« on: February 05, 2007, 04:05:03 pm »
does anybody know a method to know if a starter works or if it doesn't because the mower I'm working on is pretty old, I'm pretty sure the starter switch is fried but i dunno

Offline ryf

• View Profile
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 04:12:07 pm »
well.... make sure mower is out of gear, and spark plug wire removed (safer than getting run over) and use something to bypass the starter solenoid(jumper cables work well), this will tell you if its the ignition switch/starter solenoid or the starter

you can then run voltage to the solenoid trigger (small wire if theres only 3, if 4 then small one that goes back to ignition switch) if that clicks and turns the motor over, then its probably the ignition switch (or a wiring issue of it)

Offline mike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 04:36:28 pm »
will a battery charger work?

Offline ryf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 04:51:11 pm »
not for the starter itself, but for the solenoid part, yes. you could use a jump pack for 1 or 2 tries. if you have a 100 amp cycle or bigger on your charger you maybe could kick the starter. if your charger did not come on wheels you probably do not have enough current to start without a battery. there are some without wheels, but they are usually mounted to a wall or a workbench and weigh alot, you'd know if ya had one I'd say.

Offline mike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 05:35:12 pm »
basically ive been trying to start this mower with a batt charger. so if i were to boost it off a car it should mabe turnover :confused:

if i were to get it started wut should i use for a air filter heres a pic of wut mine looks like

[img width= height= alt=Click to enlarge]http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/2/3720495397.jpg[/img]
heres the air filter case  :noplease:
I HAD TO GRIND OFF THE SCREW TOP OFF IT WAS LIKE WELDED IN RUST ON so i zipped it off and the filter inself was chewed up bi mice :noplease:

Offline Tom Fox

• Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 05:41:23 pm »
All a battery charger will give is maybe Bendix engagement. It WILL NOT supply enough current to turn the engine over. You must either REPLACE the battery in the mower, or jump start the mower as if you jump start a car. If the mower has no battery (missing/cracked.....ect), make sure the battery leads of the mower are not touching each other or any part of the mower (tape them up and isolate them!). you can then wheel your mower over to a car. Attach one end of the battery cables to the car (you know where and how "I HOPE") and then you can take the NEGATIVE lead and clamp it somewhere on the engine block that will give you a good ground. Now you and take that "HOT" POSITIVE jumper cable clamp and touch it only to the starters positive connection. DON'T CLAMP it on just hold it against the connection and see if the engine twirls around for ya!! Just make triple sure it's out of gear and and you not resting your hand on the fan screen!
Tom Fox       
Brookfield, CT

Offline mike

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 08:23:58 pm »
thnax for the info on the starter deal.
oh ya and  i am able to jump start  :lol:

Offline offroadwhatever8

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 09:05:04 pm »
Ummm, mice got into your air filter  :lol:

Offline mike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 09:50:07 pm »
yeah :D :D
still any ideas on a cheap way of making a air filter of some sort

Offline mike

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 11:51:19 am »
anyone :worried:

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 12:02:50 pm »
There are a couple threads right here on this page (Briggs Flatheads), just a couple posts down from yours...

All you gotta do is look a little...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

monstermurray

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 01:18:17 pm »
or you could go to tractor supply and get a new one. if you cant find one there, go to your nearest john deere store. you will almost always find what your looking for at one of those. and that solinoid jump thing, i use a peice of heavy gauge wire and insulated needle nose pliers. thats the only way that i can start mine at the moment.

Offline mike

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 01:44:43 pm »
ight thanx for the tip but wut do u hook the insulated wire up to a charger or something else?
and i already have looked for homemade airfilters and all i found was those $30 high flow filters which i cant afford at the moment

-mike

monstermurray

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 01:54:21 pm »
well, since my battery is good, i just use the wire to connect the 2 terminals on the solinoid, jumping the live battery from the side its connected on to the other terminal that antother red wire is connected to... if my battery is dead, i connect a battery charger to the battery or the battery cables and jump it the same way as if it were live. and on that air filter, you can take the old filter housing from the rat ate one and use a car air filter, which you can get a good one from 10-15$, and take the filter crap out of the car filter and reload your old one by replacing the meshy  :censored: with some of the stuff from the car filter... this is ususaly good for about 2-3 reloads.

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 02:33:25 pm »

and i already have looked for homemade airfilters and all i found was those $30 high flow filters which i cant afford at the moment

-mike

Try Don at G-Team or APS...The ones on Sami's S/S were $12 and a $1.50 PVC adaptor from the hardware store...

And a replacement solinoid for a Ford truck...$9 at NAPA....
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A