Author Topic: oil cap  (Read 3766 times)

Offline Mow guard

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
oil cap
« on: October 06, 2013, 08:10:01 pm »
i need to know how to make a cap for my oil pan. I dont have a oil dip stick to use so i need a cap or a plug to put into the hole instead of the dip stick. its a 31 i believe this motor is a avs.

am i able to take another oil plug and put it in the top?

Offline ElijahWheeler

• View Profile
Re: oil cap
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 04:44:26 pm »
Why not just buy a cap or find one off of another engine? They cannot be but a couple bucks.

Offline faster295

• Braaaaaaap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 08:43:48 pm »
He can't just use another cap if its an avs motor because an avs motor isn't threaded in the pan like a non avs is. I tapped the pan in mine, but honestly I don't remember the actual size pipe tap we used. I believe it was 3/4 npt but I can't swear to it. Then I just put a pipe plug in it. I made a dipstick from all thread and put a knob on top of it. Change the oil and filter, put in the amount of oil that you run, then pull the plug out, slide the dipstick in and where the oil level is on the dipstick is where you mark it. Then you can pull the plug and check your oil with the dipstick. Works great and is a lot neater under your hood.
Brad Adams
FXS #295

Offline Mow guard

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 09:09:06 pm »
it feels like it is threaded what if i ran a snug bolt between the oil gasket and black?

Offline faster295

• Braaaaaaap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 09:15:29 pm »
If its threaded, it may even take a cheap cap like the other post said. I would do that first. A non avs motor I had before, used a plastic plug from the old briggs 5hp on a push mower. Look around before you mess up a good block or pan.
Brad Adams
FXS #295

Offline Kutt_N_Dgrass81

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 11:32:49 pm »
You are needing the dipstick and dipstick tube, is that correct?  Have you tried checking local salvage/scrap yards? Or your local mower shops that have mowers sitting around that they take parts from or take in as trades?  I have a buddy that runs a mower shop and he has several of those engines , but I do not know what he would have to have for the part you need.  A local shop near you should have one .
Roy
 TN