Author Topic: Your painting tips and advise  (Read 3156 times)

Offline offroadwhatever8

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Your painting tips and advise
« on: January 25, 2007, 09:17:05 pm »
How do you guys paint your mowers, i just sand em down as much as possible, wipe it down with a wet rag, spray primer, then a base coat, then the color and last the clear coat. How do you guys do it  :woo:

Offline Tom Fox

• Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Your painting tips and advise
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 09:33:43 pm »
Tom Fox       
Brookfield, CT

monstermurray

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 11:46:57 pm »
well, thats how i did it, just dont overspray the tires like i did. you can find the pics of mine under coffe shop>paint OR it may say >paint... i cant remember which... it wont hurt your tires, but it wont look too good... :roll:

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 09:39:41 am »
Ummmmmmmm...............Petroleum+Rubber tire=BAD TIRE

If you don't want to take the tire off the rim a little masking tape and newspaper work wonders.  I know it takes a little time but you not left with a greasy mess when you are done.  Plus your tires won't rot prematurely.

Paul
Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

eddiehenjr

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 01:18:40 pm »
My dad restored and painted cars for about 30 years and probably painted and rebuilt more than 50+ cars.  If you want to really do a nice spotless job, you have to have a clean dust-free area.  DA everything down so it's smooth with a fine grit paper, wipe with wax and grease remover, and base coat of primer.  After that, DA some of the primer down, and respray it on again, really thin layer.  After that, spray the color you want, let it sit for a day, wetsand, respray again.  Then clear it really thin layer at first, wetsand, then lay it on (not too thick) after.  Sounds complicated, but I have some pics of a few cars he painted like this, and MAAAAAN are they nice.  I also painted a guitar this way, and except for a single fish-eye that showed up on the back (which I scuffed out) it works flawlessly.  Provided that you have a clean-room and a good spray gun.  Spraypaint looks good to an extent, but when you gotta paint a large body panel or hood, it will be inconsistent and blotchey.
Ummmmmmmm...............Petroleum+Rubber tire=BAD TIRE

If you don't want to take the tire off the rim a little masking tape and newspaper work wonders.  I know it takes a little time but you not left with a greasy mess when you are done.  Plus your tires won't rot prematurely.

Paul

Yes newspaper and masking tape does work wonders for tapint off trim and whatever.  You can also use newspaper to clean windows with - Doesn't streak.  Does shred a little though.

anything