Author Topic: keyway and pulley question  (Read 4029 times)

Offline 0rion

• View Profile
keyway and pulley question
« on: March 02, 2012, 03:08:55 pm »
I just took my stock pulley off.....fought that thing the whole way. haha Started out trying to use a 3 jaw puller which quickly became pointless. Ended up drilling 2 holes in the bottom pulley and used a harmonic balancer puller....came right off once I done that. My question is on the key......I didn't see one drop out and don't see one in the pulley or crank. Just wanted to make sure it has one from the factory. I'm thinking it has too but I don't see where it went. Granted.....my garage looks like a lawnmower blew up in it so if it flew out of there it may have went under something.

nice looking pulley here huh? haha

Tim

Offline The Tank

• Highly Mowtivated
  • #44 Tank Racing!!!
    • View Profile
Re: keyway and pulley question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:12:23 pm »
If that is the engine pulley those have the keyway made into it. Look inside you will see what I'm referring to.
Frank "The Tank" Woods

AKA "The Intek Outlaw"

Offline GRUBDIGGER

• Custom Gear Picker
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 03:13:05 pm »
ON THE STOCK PULLEY THE KEY IS MADE INTO IT.
JOHN HERRING
ARMA TECH
TRI-STATE RACING MOWER ASSC.
http://wwwtsrm.smfforfree.com/

Offline 0rion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 03:18:01 pm »
thanks....I'll have to look at it again. I didn't see anything when I looked in there. Nevermind.......That's the indent you can see from the outside of the pulley right? I knew it had to have something there....just wasn't sure where it went too. It's kinda pointless right now. I was going to pull the motor off and start getting it ready to flip the frame so I could weld in some supports. Problem is I got my welder out of the box last night that I just bought. Gonna need a lot more practice. haha Practice welds looked terrible.
Tim

Offline The Tank

• Highly Mowtivated
  • #44 Tank Racing!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 03:20:19 pm »
thanks....I'll have to look at it again. I didn't see anything when I looked in there. Nevermind.......That's the indent you can see from the outside of the pulley right? I knew it had to have something there....just wasn't sure where it went too. It's kinda pointless right now. I was going to pull the motor off and start getting it ready to flip the frame so I could weld in some supports. Problem is I got my welder out of the box last night that I just bought. Gonna need a lot more practice. haha Practice welds looked terrible.

Yep that's it. Also on the welding part, this is no job to be learning on. Especially the critical parts such as your front axle. I'd either practice and practice till I got good or I would get someone else to do my welding.
Frank "The Tank" Woods

AKA "The Intek Outlaw"

Offline 0rion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 03:40:07 pm »
that's why it's going to be on hold and I'll do other things until I can get to that point. I may just buy a front already done.....saw one on ebay for $100 the other day. It's worth that for piece of mind. I've been stick welding for a couple years now although they're not the greatest welds they hold. I moved up to a flux wire welder and it's like learning all over again with the wire speed and things like that. I'll stay after it until I get it though.
Tim

Offline 0rion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 01:09:35 am »
while I got this thread going.... When I was working on it today I was thinking about my replacement pulley and belt length. The way I used to do it was use a piece of rope and put that through the pulley's and measure it. I'm wondering though if there's a better way of making sure I get the correct length. My thoughts are to go with a 6" pulley up front and I'm not sure on the back yet. Are there popular sizes to put on there or is it class relative or anything like that?
Tim

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline dicky43d

• Turf Warrior
  • Tumbleweed Racing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 03:26:20 am »
is what i do is use a junk, bad belt that is really long and run it through the pulleys like you said with the rope and then measure it that way. Much easy to find a belt. I keep it in my tool box if i need it.

anything