Author Topic: 17hp Kawasaki 540  (Read 26275 times)

Offline meatloaf02

• View Profile
17hp Kawasaki 540
« on: June 06, 2011, 10:45:03 am »
I am looking to race a 17hp OHV Kawasaki motor.  Any input on this motor would be greatly appreciated.  How big of exhaust to build.  What type of carb is best for throttle response and performance?  Is there a place to buy performance parts?  I am new to racing, and would like to be competitve.  I also have a 12.5hp Kawasaki motor, just thought the more hp would be a good start. 
Just looking for some advice.  Thanks in advance.

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Re: 17hp Kawasaki 540
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 10:57:11 am »
Having a chassis that can handle the power is more important than having more motor in the case of mower racing.
There are a few people that run Kawasaki's but they are custom pieces. Check out the build section on strengthening
the chassis, improving brakes and steering before going after the motor performance goodies.
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"

Powered by a Full Bug E.C. 20HP Vanguard!!!!

Offline tsmith1499

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 11:37:12 am »
Joey Nahas runs both of those motors and is knowledgable in this area. His "handle" here is "Flipper".  He will probably see this and chime in eventually after he recovers from Philly!!!

Chassis setup is WAY more important than engine power.  It also depends on what class you are going to run.  Some classes you are not allowed any internal mods. I know I am going to run mine stock because of the class I am planning on running in for the first year and then maybe move up after that.  From what Joey has told me the 17's have GREAT low end torque without any mods.
Tom Smith
Mount Airy, MD.
L130 Work In Progress

Offline meatloaf02

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 12:33:28 pm »
Thanks for the heads up on the chassis.  I will check out the site for more info.  TI appreciate the comments.  This is cool stuff and seems to be a blast so far.  I love racing, so anything that gets me around the track is awesome. 

Offline tsmith1499

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 01:39:55 pm »
Check out Joey's build in the build section.  LOTS of info in the build section. More than your brain can handle sometimes.  The guys that have been in it awhile know their stuff.  That's why I read and read and read in the build section.  Good luck.  What frame are you using?
Tom Smith
Mount Airy, MD.
L130 Work In Progress

Offline meatloaf02

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 01:53:36 pm »
I am using a JD 160 Frame.  It seems to work nicely.  So far, I am having a lot of fun.

Offline Burton for Certain

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 02:23:35 pm »
Jst remember that the stickers on some engines are just stickers. Look at cubic inches and bore/stroke.  Lots of times 18/20 hp motors is maybe just a slightly heavier flywheel or something.  Im working on parts for the 540 currently with someone.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

Nichols Performance Inc. For the tractor pulling
"Bad Company" PS/SS
"Triple Play" Open Super Stock Diesel

Small Engines Of Seymour High Performance Camshafts (Greg Hackman) 8125225577

Offline meatloaf02

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 02:39:25 pm »
Thanks Drew.  Let me know what you come up with for parts......

Offline tsmith1499

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 02:44:55 pm »
Hey Drew, me too , me too!!!  For 540 parts.  There just aren't a lot of performance parts out there. Yet.
Tom Smith
Mount Airy, MD.
L130 Work In Progress

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 02:45:41 pm »
Flywheel ia the first thing we are working on. It'll be late fall prolly. For now im running mod xr/cp r
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

"Bad Company" PS/SS

Offline meatloaf02

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 10:50:43 am »
I need to build a header for this engine.  Is there a formula for pipe size and length?  Does anyone have any suggestions.  I have to imagine a straight pipe is better than the stock muffler, correct?  Any help is greatly appreciated.  I have to run stock flywheel, so I am looking at other options.

Offline Flipper

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 08:48:22 pm »
We use the stock Mikuni carb on the 540(this carb must stay on there to be legal)...our engines are Bone Stock, And they will yank you out of the seat,.... ask John Grubdigger Herring. He drove my brothers last Sunday while I chased him on the wife's CPR. We mixed the Sportsmans(SP) and the Mod-X-R's(CP-R) in the same heat, after 15 laps, they only had 1/2 a track on me(770ft track that was smooth as silk) Mardela Springs Kart Track (MD)....by far, Hands down, the best track I have ever raced on in the US.

Philadelphia Eagles Stadium Monster Jam race went well last Saturday.......we did not get as many laps as we would have liked but, the whole event rocked.  Literally!....there were some huge boulders on the track, Old Goat Launched one at me in turn two......luckily it missed my fat head. The driver of Grave Digger was Awesome, super nice guy(Was not Dennis Anderson)and we talked for quite a while, I rolled the BP in front of the GD truck and got some pictures.......The meet and greet in the was insane.....we were told 33,000 people attended.

Now we get to another Monster Jam right here in Baltimore In July at the Raven Stadium!!!!!!!...and in September we have the Formula 1 Grand Prix in Baltimore....I am still working on getting mowers in that one.
Flywheel ia the first thing we are working on. It'll be late fall prolly. For now im running mod xr/cp r

Drew, keep me posted on the Billet Flywheel for the FC540. In have interest in the first that rolls out.
Will we be using the stock Coils or the Briggs Raptor Coils? (Or Other?)
The stock rod is quite strong, not sure if a Billet is needed yet, but that huge counterbalance(size of a cinder block) has to go.....
That means Tommy Daniels will be doing some Major balancing and George doing some major porting too. Probably a Custom grind cam from Precision.
Having a chassis that can handle the power is more important than having more motor in the case of mower racing.
There are a few people that run Kawasaki's but they are custom pieces. Check out the build section on strengthening
the chassis, improving brakes and steering before going after the motor performance goodies.

Amen...could not have said it better Birdman.......Mod-X-R(CPR) is all about handling(that comes first)...then the stock engine.
...and here's another tid-bit, a couple guys engines went nuclear over the weekend(BP & SP)......no reason to sit idle, while they are waiting for new engines to come it or rebuild.....drop a stock engine in and race MOD-X-R (CPR).........no reason to sit idle and watch.
Flipper
Maryland Mafia Mower Racing Team (The Sod Father) President
Mason Dixon Lawn Mower Racing Association Chief Technical Director 2016, 2017
Mason Dixon Lawn Mower Racing Association Vice President 2018
2008 BP 1st Place Champion Delmarva LMRA
2008 2nd Place Champion Super Sportsman - Tri State LMRA
2009 Delmarva LMRA Presidents Award
2012 2nd Place Champion Super Sportsman North East National Division ARMA
2013, 2014, 2015 BP 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA
2013 Mod-XR 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA
2014, 2015, 2016, Mod-XR-T 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA & VLMRA
2013, 2014, 2015 IMOW 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017  Presidents Award for Excellence Mason
2017 North American ARMA National 1st Place Champion Mod-XR-T Class

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 12:03:16 pm »
The 540 is getting dropped off tomorrow for measurements to start making parts.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

"Bad Company" PS/SS

Offline GRUBDIGGER

• Custom Gear Picker
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 03:04:04 pm »
THE S/P IS UP AND RUNNING. THE S IS WAITING FOR THE MONEY TREE TO GROW. :badgrin:
JOHN HERRING
ARMA TECH
TRI-STATE RACING MOWER ASSC.
http://wwwtsrm.smfforfree.com/

Offline kolb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 11:43:52 am »
THE S/P IS UP AND RUNNING. THE S IS WAITING FOR THE MONEY TREE TO GROW. :badgrin:

Newb wants to know - Who's "S"? What's "P"?

anything