Author Topic: Improvements for the 2011 season.  (Read 29500 times)

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Improvements for the 2011 season.
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2011, 10:39:34 pm »
Here is the video. I also went up 2 jet sizes in the Super B carb. First pull this year I had no color on the plug. It ran alot stronger this time.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline cubcadet70

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2011, 10:54:58 pm »
Could your new tires play the factor that you choked out? Also the track looks pretty tacky. Have you ever ran it on a power track?

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2011, 11:28:07 pm »
I haven't ran that engine combo on a power track. That was the first time. Based on what I ran against I did well. I put two feet on the best stock altered v twin there. And yes the tires are very sharp. I just ran too high of gear. Should of ran first wich is a 25 tooth. The vtwins are in the 50 hp range. I have seen the dyno sheet of one of them. I am pretty pleased to be able to run with them with my home built one of single cylinder.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2011, 08:58:18 am »
When do you check the plug.. right after the run... ??

I noticed this time you pushed off the track, will you still get an accurate reading if you drive off track to trailer..?
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2011, 10:17:04 am »
I usaully push mine to the trailer. And check plug after it cools. I don't know if that's the correct way to do it but its what I've always done. If there's no color on the plug after a wide open pass its lean. If it was driven to trailer I'm unsure if it would show color or not. Mine runs pretty fat at an idle.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2011, 10:50:34 am »
Mine does too, that's why I wondered about shutting it off after the run..
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Burton for Certain

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2011, 12:23:31 am »
You should bring it to Delaware and run with the Supers before the races.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

Nichols Performance Inc. For the tractor pulling
"Bad Company" PS/SS
"Triple Play" Open Super Stock Diesel

Small Engines Of Seymour High Performance Camshafts (Greg Hackman) 8125225577

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2011, 09:09:03 am »
I'm going to put it on a dyno before I run it against one of those. It runs good with the twins but not sure how it would run against a super. Drew how much hp are the supers making. My engine is a 3.937x4.200. It should be making 50hp to run the gears I have. Based on the twins and what gears there running and the hp there making.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline Burton for Certain

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2011, 09:46:26 am »
An avg super is around low 70s.  I'm sure they'd let you just hook it if you wanted if you didn't want to pull against a class.
Now that I think of it, there's a guy named Harold Jordan that runs a wisconsin in the super stock class.  On an 300' ft out door track he's hard to keep up with because that thing has so much torque.  I'll see if I can get his contact info.  I'm sure he'd have a lot of info to pass on to you.  He is literally the only person who isn't running a Jones Block or a J2 Block.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

Nichols Performance Inc. For the tractor pulling
"Bad Company" PS/SS
"Triple Play" Open Super Stock Diesel

Small Engines Of Seymour High Performance Camshafts (Greg Hackman) 8125225577

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2011, 10:20:05 am »
Drew I would love to talk with him. I have seen the tractor your speeking of. It says Ray Jordans Super Stock on the side of it. It is the same engine I have. AGND wisconsin. I'm sure there's more in my engine but I'm limited on camshaft lift because I can't get anymore in the block. Just not enough room. I had to back face the lifter bore .200 just to clear the 535 lift it has now. I run the big base jeep lifter in it. Uses the same lifter as a kohler. My tractor is a lot of fun on the looser tracks cause of the torque it makes. It'll pull a lot of gear. I need a tach and some dyno time to get it just right. I now have some color on the plug so its close. It impressed a lot of people being what it is and how it runs.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2011, 09:40:48 pm »
really cool video, look's like alot of fun!
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2011, 08:58:21 pm »
Well three hooks this year three firsts. Broke it twice though. I cannot keep the flywheel on it. Tore the crank up bad this time. Im having a new flywheel hub made that will still be keyed shaft but it will be split 180* opposite the keyway. It will have 2 5/16 bolts perpendicular to the crank. Basically a pinch hub. Heat it up, slide it on and pinch it down. Also changing from 200mm vw flywheel toa 180mm setup. Lightened alot. going from 32lbs of flywheel assembly to 22lbs.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2011, 08:33:58 pm »
hey dennis did you get your flywheel sorted out
Tim Johnson

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2011, 08:09:06 am »
I have all the parts and lathe stock to make a new hub. Everything is at my friends house. He is turning the hub out and machining the new flywheel. New setup is 22lbs. Old setup was 35lbs. Going to a pinch type locking hub. Should be all better this time around. 
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2011, 07:34:14 pm »
Well got the flywheel hub sorted out. New flywheel, cnc machined pinch hub. The new hub is 1.250 bore, 5\16 key. Using a rex tripple a hardned piece of tooling stock for the key. The hub also has two 5\16 24 allen head cap screws perpendicular to the crankshaft for pinching the hub to the crank. The hub is split opposite of the keyway. Its a nice piece. Also using 5 5\16 24 bolts to hold the flywheel to the hub. Everything works well. When assembling it I found the intake port cracked so i'm done this season. Having the port welded up and reinforced. Also having a port support built for it. I had a brace between the carb and the lower part of the engine but the port was just to thin. So parts are at the machine shop. Bottom getting balanced and port repaired. Then off to the dyno. If it makes 60-65hp I will bring it to columbus to run in the 52.5 twin class. It should be close. Should make a pile of torque with the stroke but the new engines are turning alot harder.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

anything