Author Topic: Rant  (Read 46526 times)

Offline scoot8801

• View Profile
Rant
« on: March 06, 2011, 09:08:12 pm »
I really like this site. However if its gonna be a  "Grass roots " racing site then there should be more grass roots fixes and suggestions. Every DANG time I ask a question I get go to EC , ARC has the part , cut loose can do that for ya. JUST SHOW ME THE MONEY.  Its rather annoying and yes I do have a bunch of stuff from these guys. But when someone asks they arent always lookin for a mail order answer. Grass roots is usin what you got to get done what you gotta get done. Wade through most of the threads in here and you will see how many PROMOTE a buisness....

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Rant
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 09:18:01 pm »
OK, so help us out.  What are your "grass roots" ideas for obtaining parts?

It is always good to have more suppliers.

It happens that many times it is easier to buy a quality part than try to build something yourself, and some things the average joe can't build.

Some things are safety related as well.  The only way to get a safe lighter flywheel is to BUY or BUILD one out of a billet material.

Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline more4les

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • FatBoyZ Racing - Mowin' Down the Competition!
    • View Profile
    • Northern  NY Lawn Mower Racing
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 09:24:01 pm »
You know I've always wondered why so many of the vendors on here don't include installation instructions. They know they are selling to mainly individuals yet the packaging is as if they are wholesaling their parts. ARC is terrible for not including anything with the flywheels they sell. Given yes they "wholesale" them through other retailers but are direct shipped from them. No coil gap info, no illustrations for coil brackets (material needs to be removed from the coil mounting posts on Inteks), no removal instructions. I don't know if it is for legal purposes or not but it frustrates many. I try to give "homemade" remedies but too many reply back to go the commercial way. I understand this site is hosted and paid for by the vendors here and as a business man myself you need to keep your name and products in the spotlight. But as a budget builder I know the previous poster's frustration.

Lester
2012 & 2014 Sportsman Champion (Builder/Owner), 2013 2nd.
2011 - 2014 Pro-Mod Champion, 2011, 2014 2nd Builder/Owner
2008-2013 Pro-Stock Champion (2009-13 Builder/Owner)
2007 Pro-Mod Champion
Founder of NNYLMR
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/NNYLMR/
Front Yard Chassis
Impact Racing Engines
http://www.facebook.com/groups/NNYLMR/
SKYPE ME: more4les

Offline The Tank

• Highly Mowtivated
  • #44 Tank Racing!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 09:39:00 pm »
Time is something im short on. Ive learned most of the parts you need can be bought cheaper than it can be made.
Frank "The Tank" Woods

AKA "The Intek Outlaw"

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 10:15:26 pm »
I DON'T THINK OF IT AS PROMOTE AS MUCH AS DIRECT SOMEONE TO WHAT THEY BELIEVE TO BE A GOOD SOLUTION. IT'S THE OLD ADAGE SEE A NEED FILL A NEED. FORINSTANCE HITCH'S DUAL PLUG HEAD, YOU CAN TRY IT YOURSELF WITH TRIAL AND ERROR, BUT HE HAS DONE ALL THAT FOR YOU. WORKED OUT THE BUGS OR KINKS. THE SPORT IS EVOLVING AND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING COULD BE CALLED GROWING PAINS. I BELIEVE NEVER STOP THINKING, OR EXPERIMENTING BUT SOMETIMES WHATS YOUR TIME WORTH. FRONT HUBS ARE EASY TO BUILD  BUT I PAID $17.00 FOR THEM, I CANNOT BUILD THEM FOR THAT. FELL FREE TO RANT ANYTIME I KNOW I WILL LISTEN!
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline trbinrat

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 10:44:11 pm »
I agree and disagree. Like big Al said the sports going through growing pains and there will be more and more parts made for a price. This is good and bad, (Good) It can get people the parts they need when they can't build it them selves or don't have the time. (Bad) It some time can stifle progress  because it's easier to rely on some one else than to invent another cheaper easier way of doing things.

I have been only in this sport for a very short time and in that time I have learned a great deal about the parts used and the way the tractors are set up. I have built most of the parts use on my mower and sometime wish I bought them. Case in point with my rear hubs. $80 from EC If I were to put a price on the ones I built I would say there worth $300. I have the ability and the tools to build most everything on a mower but pick and chose which one I think are worth the time and effort and purchase the rest.  I constantly use the search bar and find new ways to do things.

Mark
#33 SP   Kawi power

http://www.mpmowersports.com/

If you run with the heard you will never see the edge of the cliff
Racing lawn mowers is not cheap just cheaper.

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 10:51:36 pm »
YES I MADE MY REAR HUBS AND BOUGHT MY FRONTS. I WATCH MY PENNYS AND TRY TO BUILD SMART WHEN I CAN. BUT I STILL HAVE FUN!
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline tgames64

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 07:20:08 am »
You know I've always wondered why so many of the vendors on here don't include installation instructions. They know they are selling to mainly individuals yet the packaging is as if they are wholesaling their parts.

The late Mike Cupps did. His website was truley grass-roots racing from the pricing to the service. The site continues to be one of my favorites for insight and some parts. You may not find to many high dollar parts but enough good stuff to keep you running good. Along with illustrations and explanations.
One of my favorite things was calling to check on an order and bench racing with Mike over the phone, I miss that.

Ted Ames
AKA, Cranky Ole Fart
www.sglmra.com

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 01:16:12 pm »
 The way I kind of look at it is that some of those high performance parts might cost some money, but in the long run they probably save you money. That and some of them are good for safety. For example- the billet flywheels. Sure brings me peace of mind that there's a lot less chance of having a 15 pound flywheel exploding in my lap- which is definitely more likely to happen with a cast iron flywheel. That or knowing that the billet rod I use is likely going to hold together versus snapping in half. Truth be known every high performance part I've used works really well. I ran my last engine for 3 years. It never had a single problem. I just ran it and ran it. Sure saves a lot of time and money not having to deal with crap breaking like it did on the engine I had before it where the stock rod snapped and ruined the engine. I'm still using a 3 year old Titan clutch. Again- it hardly has any wear at all. It cost money but I can guarantee you that its better than replacing a burnt-out cheap-o clutch several times.

Lastly, almost all of these parts are made by small Mom-n-Pop businesses. Its not like you're sending money to some mega-corporation. The level of quality on almost all of the parts I've gotten has been unreal. We're talking extreme precision you're not going to find under the hood of your truck or car. In some ways our sport helps support a small cottage industry. Also- if it wern't for some of these companies we would be limited to what we could do as far as performance, safety, and competitiveness. I know there's no way I can afford a $500,000 CNC machine in my basement nor do I have the skills or time to make custom parts either. I'm glad these companies are around.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline dandt4238

• Turf Warrior
  • Dean Schopf Jr. Dover, PA
    • View Profile
    • The PA Lawn Mower Racing Assoc.
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 02:11:11 pm »
Great thread Scoot.  In response to cycloneracer, I see this alot, someone will ask a question and be sent right to a parts manufacturer.  That is fine, but I think what Scoot is looking for are ideas, (what have others done)instead of just buying parts.  There was a post recently in the drivetrain section where someone was asking how to weld a transaxle to make a solid shaft.  Instead of people giving him helpful suggestions ( which is what we would have seen a few years ago, he was directed toward a parts store.  It took six or seven posts until finally someone gave him an suggestion.
We all know the parts stores are there, we all appreciate what they do, and there are some things that cutting a check is the only way of getting to the goal.  But we are Grass Roots racers, and alot of us are still making our own stuff work.
When it works, it is much more gratifying than buying someone elses work.

Dean Jr.
Schopf & Frantz Family Mowtorsports
550 FX
505 CPR
161 CP and CPR
523 CPR
181 CP
and our newest driver
     *295 IMOW* Good Luck Ashers!

Offline GRUBDIGGER

• Custom Gear Picker
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 03:35:41 pm »
what i get from this thread is, its all about safety and is there a way that i can go fast witout spendig big $$$$$$$. there has been other threads about budget classes. so my question is do it your self the safe way or buy the high dollar safe parts to go fast. i dont think you can have it both ways.
JOHN HERRING
ARMA TECH
TRI-STATE RACING MOWER ASSC.
http://wwwtsrm.smfforfree.com/

Offline Goeytex

• Higher than Newb
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 03:53:01 pm »
I understand the rant.  

For my part here's what I can do.  

I am going to make the schematics and the programming code for the Rev Limiter and for
a universal Tach Adapter freely available to anyone here that wants them as long as they
are not used for commercial purposes.  Personal Use only.

Buy from me,  or built it yourself.  ( I barely break even anyway. ) 

I know that not everyone has the time or the inclination to build a circuit board, but for those
who can, this is grass roots at its best.    

I will post them soon.

Bill Roth
12405 Blossomwood Dr
Austin, TX.
Email: bill.roth@comtrotech.com

Offline matts mowing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 04:04:20 pm »
yes i have gone through this too, EChas exactly whatyou are looking for, yes they do but on most tha i have looked at it is overpriced. i have done all my "shopping' here, low prices and good service nd are great to work with.

http://www.bmikarts.com/

not saying anything bad you can order from anywhere you want but som sites on this forum are "pushed".
end rant haha
matt will  #40
sportsman, super sportsman neplarma
450 pro class mod (quads)

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 04:21:57 pm »
Some are pushed because some believe in them, some its their job, other you are pushed away from for various reasons. We dont need to go there but sometimes you have to be a "good guy" about your purchases. IF you call somebody or someplace and constantly and are getting info, asking questions, then come time to buy, you make your purchase elsewhere, thats hard on a business. Now I have no affiliiation with any of the businesses mentioned, but if I am calling to a place such as EC and asking questions about products, trying to figure out how to make it work and am getting advice from them, YES I will buy parts from them!! Its called customer service guys. No Im not made of money and none of us are but I believe you have to support those that support you. So somebody taking the time to give measurements and tech advice to see if something is even feasable for me, before the sale is made, Dang right if it works I will buy through them!!
Zach Burwell
#555 of Triple Nickel Racing

Wanna know a quick way to lose 8 pounds?!

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 04:27:22 pm »
I only "push" the places I've got good service from.

Sometimes cheaper isn't better. You always get what you pay for.

Paul
Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

anything