Engine Help > Kohler Engines

K341 Pulling Build

(1/49) > >>

Squidd:
On my Briggs, other than Head Gasket and crank seals, I pretty much put it together with RTV sealant rather than Gasket set.

Can I do the same for my K341 being built for pulling...?

Big daddy:
I always use a pan gasket when I assemble the unit together to make sure that it seals when under stress and strain, and always use the bearing plate gaskets to set the crank end play!!! The crank vent plate that goes over the valve box, if you are using the Kohler pieces then you will use two gaskets there as well as silicone or it will leak like crazy. I generally replace those pieces with solid aluminum ones.  The cam gear cover and fuel pump hole I use silicone to seat those up, the only thing left is the intake gasket. I have not used one of those in years, just a thin film of silicone and nothing else on that surface. Make sure the intake flange is flat!! otherwise you may be investing in a new carb. or have trouble with your intake manifold sealing up correctly! Some guys still use an intake gasket, but I gave up on those many years ago.

Squidd:
What about ring Gap...?

On a Briggs I would go tight on gap maybe .003" to .005"

Would it be the same on a cast iron puller...?

FlatheadPuller:
I would go a little looser. .008-.010. Remember theres no cooling system. It will get hot. But IF you want to know a trick on the midwest flywheels you can install a stock briggs model 28 plastic fan set on the flywheel using the two 3/8 flywheel puller holes and it will drop right in a cub chassis even with the aftermarket driver. Then you do not need a electric fan and the plastic fins wont come apart.

You can also use a total seal gapless top ring and stock second ring. The engine will last a realy long time with that setup.

Big daddy:
Rule of thumb for the Kohler type pulling engines as told to me by a very good source is 0.004" per every inch of bore for the "gapless" rings. (overlap gap). You do not want to set the rings too tight!! I would set them this way then forget about it until the next year!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version