Author Topic: Toro A/P build  (Read 22302 times)

Offline leman

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Toro A/P build
« on: April 05, 2010, 07:59:06 pm »
Hello,
this is my first mower build so i decided to build an A/P mower because it seems like a good place to start.  I picked up this mower at my local farm equipment auction for cheap a few years ago with plans of making it into a racer.  Now after over a year of reading through this site and gathering parts, i'm ready to start building. I'm at college up in Boston right now so i have plenty of time to research and plan out what i'm going to do the next time i go home.  I'm trying to take as many pictures as i can as i build.

This originally had a 5hp motor in it but is started to knock really badly so i swapped it out with an 8hp so i could still ride it around.

Starting to disassemble

Stock Transmission

Finally down to the frame

Now that I have the mower stripped down, i started to work on and fabricate the front end.  I went with using 10 degrees of caster and 10 degrees of KPI.  That seemed to be about what everyone says is the best.  I tried to get zero camber, but i'm sure there will be a little bit.

I had my friend who works at a machine shop mill out the ends of my bolts at 10 degrees so they fit snug against the pipe I welded it to and so i could get a sold weld on it. 

Here is what the front end looks like loosely put together.

I thought i took more pictures of making the steering set up, but i cant find them at the moment....  Here is what my set up looks like.  I got rid of the old steering setup and build a direct steering setup.  I WILL be replacing the tie rods that are attached to the spindles.  I just used what i had so i could figure out how long everything needed to be and where i'm going to attach them.

Now that i have the front end figured out, i moved onto working on the rear end. 

I notched out where the axle will be because the frame was in the way.  I will notch out where the sprocket and rotor go when i get them.  But for now, I wanted to figure out where the bearings will go and how high to mount them.

Drilled holes for the axle to go through the frame and just tack welded the seat arch in for now.  When i have pretty much everything in place and im ready to disassemble and paint, i plan on borrowing and friends welder and welding everything up.  His is a lot stronger than mine and I would feel safer if i used his.

I put the axle in and slid the tires on to measure the height of the frame and it came to a little below 4.5" which is what i was shooting for.  Didn't want to plan for 4" and end up being lower than that.  Seeing the mower like this made me a little anxious so i rested the body parts on just to see what is will look like.

Nick Lema
NELMRA Member 2011 - Current
2011 NELMRA Rookie of the Year
2011 NELMRA S/P-B Overall Winner
2013 NELMRA A/P 2nd Place Overall
2013 NELMRA S/P 2nd Place Overall
2014... No more DNF's :D

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Re: Toro A/P build
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 08:35:50 pm »
Nice start.
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"

Powered by a Full Bug E.C. 20HP Vanguard!!!!

Offline Redneckmowerman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 10:17:32 pm »
I had one of those toro's back in the day..had a lot of fun on it haha but yours is gonna be better than mine by a long shot with the live axle and everything..nice job

Offline leman

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 11:26:23 pm »
Thanks guys, i'm trying to take my time and do it right the first time
Nick Lema

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 08:28:11 am »
WOW.. that's a nice looking Toro...

Offline Tazz914

• Turf Warrior
  • tazz914
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 02:01:11 pm »
good looking toro you got there
Thomas Thompson

#3 wheelhorse/widebody hybrid sportsman/sp
#23 mtd mod-xrt/gpt

Offline turftracracer19

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 03:55:49 pm »
looks sweet

Offline leman

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 09:00:51 pm »
Finally got some time and money to keep working on my mower.  bought a lot of parts. 

Bought some aluminum tubing and tie rod ends from McMaster Carr and finalized my steering set up.

Turned all the way to the right.

Strengthened my stock rims and painted them.

I welded 3 bolts to the sides and center.

Welded on some mower deck pieses.

Painted the frame while i was waiting for some of my parts to come in the mail.

Parts still didnt come so i painted the sheet metal while i had the time and it was nice out.  probably should have waited untill i was done with everything, but i figured i could just touch it up when im all done.

Plus i wanted to try out my color scheme  :D

Sproket and sproket holder came from EC so i was able to make the chain tensioner.

I made it out of a skateboard wheel and a heavy duity hinge.  works great so far.

My brake caliper and rotor finally came. The frame i mounted it to was angled so i drilled a hole and mounted it to compensate for the angle of the frame.

No im just waiting for the engine to come back from the machine shop, the cylinder was in pretty bad shape so im having it hones out.  in the mean time i will be putting the brake petal on and hooking up the brake.  Definitely made a lot of progress lately.  what do you guys think so far?
Nick Lema

Offline GTX21

• Turf Warrior
  • PA Posse Rulez!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 09:15:39 pm »
That tranny looks like either a 350 or 400 peerless, Id reccomend replacing the bushings with bearings before you run it, or you could get ahold of Don at G Team and he can fix ya up.
Nathan Mansberger

If your NOT 1st your LAST!

Offline amr5080

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 09:26:04 pm »
That's the same mower I'm running. I'd love to get ahold of another hood and grill
Aaron Rupert
Rupert Racing
Pro-x #14
Burris Racing Tires
"There are three easy ways of losing money - racing is the quickest, women the most pleasant, and farming the most certain."
Lord Amherst

Offline leman

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 10:05:53 pm »
yes it is and will be rebuilding the tranny. i ordered seals and bearings from Kaman to build the tranny.  Big thanks to SnowMan184 for the part numbers, i have not gotten around to it yet but i will soon.  i have heard great things about Don at G Team but i like learning by doing things myself. plus i have only spent a little over $200 so far  :D
Nick Lema

Offline Bolens16

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 07:39:44 am »
I like your steering setup. The toe out on turns angle looks about right. Great job.
If it has blades I'm not interested.

Offline leman

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 03:12:23 pm »
thanks! i did a lot of home work and reading on this site to decide what would be the best way to make my steering set up.
Nick Lema

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 11:27:26 am »
 You'll want to run the Cent. clutch off the engine crank. If you do get a clutch, get something good like a Titan or Noram ( same company now) The typical Comet clutches will burn up quick.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline mtd#7

• Turf Warrior
  • Cory Craft #7c
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 05:22:40 pm »
You'll want to run the Cent. clutch off the engine crank. If you do get a clutch, get something good like a Titan or Noram ( same company now) The typical Comet clutches will burn up quick.
i dont know about that we run noram clutches on our karts and they burn up just as fast as a comet or max torgue clutch they are all the same when you get down to it......
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!tsaeb ps eht hsaelnu