Author Topic: Crafstman Build - Single OHV Modified  (Read 47968 times)

Offline philr85

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Crafstman Build - Single OHV Modified
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2011, 09:15:23 pm »
i broke a craftsman l spindle playing in the woods and it looked cast since then i never trsute them i looked at it it was very pourse  thats where i got that from
BCLMRA president
technical inspecter @covevalley speedway 2012 is gonna be a an amazing season!
yes its fast no you cant drive it!
highland flats track champion 2009
2010 points champ @ covevalley
phil ruby

Offline Nitro

• Mike - Pinnacle Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Pinnacle Motorsports
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2011, 09:31:12 pm »
If it was cast it would have broken 1) The first time I mowed my neighbors yard or 2) On my old crafstman (Prior to this one, no pics) when me and my dad spent hours upon hours mowing, towing and wheelie'ing on it.

Both front (spindles) and rear (axle) are 3/4".

My Yardman (Grass cutter) as I noticed the other day, has spindles that are already braced from the factory.

IF my axle were to be legal I would very much rather run it than drop what $$ I don't have on building a new one. If I can use this one the build may continue tomorrow, otherwise it might be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.

Can I get a tech mans input here, please?

I guess I came off a bit brash in my last post so I apologize, I hadn't meant to.

I've no questions at the moment, but would gladly answer any questions if anyone's got any.

-Mike
Mike
Pinnacle Motorsports

"Life's journey is not about arriving at the the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but sliding in sideways screaming 'HOLY S**T, What a ride!'"

Offline accutune

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2011, 09:50:56 pm »
1/2" pipe or thick wall tube and a grade 8 bolt can make some good and cheap spindles.

Offline Nitro

• View Profile
    • Pinnacle Motorsports
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2011, 10:15:43 pm »
1/2" pipe or thick wall tube and a grade 8 bolt can make some good and cheap spindles.

Thought about it... but I think I can have them at the door for about the same price.
Mike
Pinnacle Motorsports

"Life's journey is not about arriving at the the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but sliding in sideways screaming 'HOLY S**T, What a ride!'"

Offline Nitro

• View Profile
    • Pinnacle Motorsports
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2011, 02:10:15 pm »
Alright guys, I still don't have internet and will be moving locally within the next couple of weeks so this project will be on the back burner for a little bit, I'm going to try and get a head gasket soon so I can reassemble the motor, but it'll be slow.

-Mike
Mike
Pinnacle Motorsports

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2011, 03:29:46 pm »
Keep us posted!!
Zach Burwell
#555 of Triple Nickel Racing

Wanna know a quick way to lose 8 pounds?!

Offline Nitro

• View Profile
    • Pinnacle Motorsports
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2011, 09:13:04 pm »
Alrighty, a little update. Amidst looking for a place to live I've managed to order a head gasket and picked it up today. Reassembled my motor and dropped it in, since the disassembly I've managed to lap in the valves and hone the cylinder. Today I got it all temporarily set up and rolled it over, to which I found out my valves are maybe off as it was spitting fuel out rather than sucking it in... any ideas? (obviously it hadn't started so I'm looking for answers to my problems, I may lift it and disassemble it tomorrow to see whats going on...)

Thanks Guys!
-Mike
Mike
Pinnacle Motorsports

Offline The Tank

• Highly Mowtivated
  • #44 Tank Racing!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2011, 09:43:52 pm »
Sounds like the valves need to be adjusted but I have seen a sheared flywheel key do the same thing.
Frank "The Tank" Woods

AKA "The Intek Outlaw"

Offline Nitro

• View Profile
    • Pinnacle Motorsports
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2011, 03:11:13 pm »
Ok, it started this morning, but was running rough. Now we can't get it to start and we've replaced the plug and tried another coil on it. It turns over fine and is sparking, but won't start again. I'll fiddle with it, but am not sure what the problem is.
Mike
Pinnacle Motorsports

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2011, 03:15:28 pm »
Sounds like the valves need to be adjusted but I have seen a sheared flywheel key do the same thing.
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline royalblu68f100

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • Cartwheels are a helluva ride if you can hold on!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2011, 03:16:03 pm »
Did you do a thorough check of the flywheel key, sometimes they will crank but run rough, if the key is sheared.  I would look at your valve clearance, and flywheel key.
You never win a race by focusing on one aspect of the race!  Motor isn't everything, but you better have a good one!  Chassis too!  But remember, a driver can take a slow machine and make it faster!  I may not have/be the best of any of these but I'm trying!
Chris Cox- CP/Mod X, AP
2016 ALL AMERICAN CP/Mod X Champion
2015 USLMRA AP Champion
2014 USLMRA AP Runner Up
2013 USLMRA AP Champion
2012 SRUSAAO ModX/CP Champion
2012 USLMRA CP Champion
2012 US Open AP Champion
2011 SRUSAAO MOD-X/CP Champion
2011 USLMRA FX Points Runner up
2011 GALMRA CP Points Champion

Offline Nitro

• View Profile
    • Pinnacle Motorsports
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2011, 10:04:27 pm »
Alright, I suppose I'll check the fly wheel tomorrow, but what is the clearance on the valves from the factory? You know what, I got a few minutes tonight, maybe I'll go check my flywheel tonight.

-Mike
It was the flywheel key. Having not worked on these motors that often I wouldn't have suspected it, but I'll try to get a few tomorrow, extras just in case...

Thanks guys!!
-Mike
Mike
Pinnacle Motorsports

Offline Nitro

• View Profile
    • Pinnacle Motorsports
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2011, 07:46:25 pm »
SHE RUNS!!! Although I've found my starter is either fairly weak or the motor has a bunch of compression (I'm thinking it's probably a mixture of both).

This lawn mowchine has become my senior project. I will be painting this for my senior project, whether it's a racer or not, although I'm hopin' it will be done...

-Mike
Mike
Pinnacle Motorsports

Offline Nitro

• View Profile
    • Pinnacle Motorsports
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2011, 12:30:13 pm »
Hey, it's been a while. We're in a new place now, dad's got a new job and everything is starting to fall into place, I'm hoping to pick back up on this in the next couple weeks once I get my garage sorted. Now that things are getting better for us I will be buying the parts to do this the right way. Once I pull it up from the shed I'll get a list of things going and see where to go from there, it may be a couple weeks before I make any progress, but I Should have the mower pulled up this weekend atleast.

-Mike
Mike
Pinnacle Motorsports

anything