Author Topic: John Deere 180 Build  (Read 120243 times)

Offline Caudy155

• Turf Warrior
  • Chad Caudy
    • View Profile
Re: John Deere 180 Build
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2010, 11:35:28 pm »
well hurry up!!!!
There's somethin' in the works...

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2010, 11:06:38 pm »
Well did some tinkerin today. Nothin too streneous on a holiday.  :lol: But I decided to redo the fuel cell and mount. I went smaller to make a little more motor room. With the INTEK twin and my old set up I had about 1/4 inch from shroud to cell mount. Kinda felt the need to change for the sake of ever strappin a different twin on. Not sure what the future holds, so Im tryin to keep things open.

I ended up gettin a 2 quart factory tank from the surplus center. Im pretty pleased with how it worked out.

Next was the battery tray. I got a 400 EX battery from my buddy that owns a quad shop, Its pretty compact and thats what i needed!! It is a sealed design once filled and i paid 40 bucks for it. I am runnin out of room.

Simple battery tray from 1/2 inch angle

I couldnt decide where to put it to allow ease of access to terminals, cassette bolts, and make the caliper fit where i want. I decided flush with the bottom of the frame was best. So here it is and I hope its legal.

In place and strapped in with my home bent aluminum strap.

So let me know what ya guys think!!
Zach Burwell
#555 of Triple Nickel Racing

Wanna know a quick way to lose 8 pounds?!

Offline jerb

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2010, 11:48:04 pm »
nice work.....i like the battery location...just add some pigtails for charging, where did you get the pedals if ya dont mind me asking?
Tim Jerby
2010 round 2 monster energy drink mod-x champion
2009 mowfast mod-x champion
2009 mowfast sportsman runner-up
Coming soon...super mod twin!

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2010, 12:13:44 am »
thank ya jerb. its aboutthe only spot i could put it that allowed for access to everything. I plan on charging studs just aint got em yet. The pedals actually come from BMI Karts. The regular round steel were 20 a piece and the billet aluminum ones i got were 28 each. kinda seemed like a no brainer. :lol:

At the top of this link.

http://www.bmikarts.com/shop/?keywords=billet+pedals&match_criteria=all&search=Search&sst=always&cart=2089668
Zach Burwell

Offline jerb

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2010, 12:20:03 am »
thanks, guessing them might be the tickets on my new ride....your mower looking real nice, nice fab work, looks like a well equipped shop too.....
Tim Jerby

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2010, 12:27:25 am »
they are nice, have some adjustability and can be mounted easily. thanks for the kind words, i am building to make it worthwhile and try to make some national races eventually. i would at least like to hit the us open this year as it is only 20 mins away!! the shop is nice. we have a slew of snap on sockets ratchets wrenches you name it and its in that box!! its huge!! 2 mig welders ( the miller and a portable lincoln), tig welder, plasma cutter, 2 torches, sandblast cabinet and even a 2 post lift!! it has radiant tube heat and a wood burner and soon to have ac  :lol:if dad has his way!!  :lol: We have done everything from mowers to ground up custom mud racers, pullin trucks and drag racers and everything in between incluping diesel performance. dad has had me in it since i was about 9 and i learned first welded at age 10!! :woo:
Zach Burwell

Offline jerb

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2010, 12:31:34 am »
they are nice, have some adjustability and can be mounted easily. thanks for the kind words, i am building to make it worthwhile and try to make some national races eventually. i would at least like to hit the us open this year as it is only 20 mins away!! the shop is nice. we have a slew of snap on sockets ratchets wrenches you name it and its in that box!! its huge!! 2 mig welders ( the miller and a portable lincoln), tig welder, plasma cutter, 2 torches, sandblast cabinet and even a 2 post lift!! it has radiant tube heat and a wood burner and soon to have ac  :lol:if dad has his way!!  :lol: We have done everything from mowers to ground up custom mud racers, pullin trucks and drag racers and everything in between incluping diesel performance. dad has had me in it since i was about 9 and i learned first welded at age 10!! :woo:
awesome ....
Tim Jerby

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2010, 07:07:01 pm »
Well im getting pretty close to gettin it all buttoned up. The last of the major stuff got finished last night. I got all the brake stuff put on finally leaving me with exhaust shifter wiring then piddly adjustments.

So I scored this Wilwood 2 piston on ebay for 25 bucks. I went with a cast MCP master cylinder, and opted to go with a 10 inch rotor on a sprocket hub from aps.

Mounting the caliper actually ended up bein quite simple after a few hours of frustrating cutting and building. Then dad steps in and looks with me and after a 5 min conversation i had revised my plan!! Sometimes 2 minds are better than 1 and always take the constructive criticism. Also take note of the braided stainless line from JEGS.

Heres a shot from the back side showing the notch that i need to cut out. Then realized after getting it all together and bled i still need to finesse it with the sander wheel.  :bash:

Then finally my linkage and the hole in the fender. The linkage is made of, you guessed it, 1/2  round tube with 1/4 inch heim joints and adapters welded on the end. That way i can move the pedal to fit me comfortably with a simple turn of the rod. Hopefully all this will pass tech. I do not see why it wouldnt.

So any questions suggestions or opinions feel free to share and ask away!!
Zach Burwell

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2010, 07:28:58 pm »
Well im getting pretty close to gettin it all buttoned up. The last of the major stuff got finished last night. I got all the brake stuff put on finally leaving me with exhaust shifter wiring then piddly adjustments.

Dude, I dunno even how to build an exhaust shifter, let alone wire the thing.....cant wait to see those pics!
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2010, 07:36:02 pm »
 :lol2: that was good...but you aint seen NOTHIN yet. Ill post when im done.  8)
Zach Burwell

Offline mower_mulisha

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2010, 10:39:01 pm »
The only concern I would have is running out of gas. 2qts won't last long especially if your running a built motor and going more than 10 laps.

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2010, 12:08:46 am »
Ok sorry for the wrong info. It is 3 quart. I got fat fingers when I type! Lol. I think it should be enough for a 12.5 flatty as I'm startin in sportsman and my twin for the local segment is stock.
Zach Burwell

Offline mower_mulisha

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2010, 07:39:00 am »
Yeah that should be enough....I ran a 3 qt. Aluminum Kart tank for years in SP and BP....only thing was in BP on long tracks with lots of cautions it would be on fumes by the time the race was over. That's why I was letting you know if it was a 2 qt you probably wouldn't be finishing a race....ok continue on...very nice build by the way!!

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2010, 12:40:41 pm »
Ok its my fault. I hit the wrong number lol. I doubt this chassis ever make it too bp but ya never know. Thank you for the kind words.
Zach Burwell

Offline racingjohndeere55

• Assistant Pot Stirrer
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
  • I thought it was funny
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2010, 03:49:49 pm »
Ill burn a half tank tween a heat and feature. Im runnin the stock stx tank.

anything