Author Topic: Tech Writing Tips  (Read 1825 times)

Offline EelRiverRacer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Mowmentum
Tech Writing Tips
« on: October 13, 2009, 08:43:20 am »
I've asked several folks about the possibility of writing tech columns, because I'll be the first to admit that if you're looking to rebuild a motor, don't ask me. This is an email I sent off, and if you're interested in writing a technical advice column, let me know and we'll try to pencil you in. So far, Carroll and George (both from EC and the target of this email originally), Mr. Ryker, Kevin Penne possibly and a couple others have expressed interest in writing a tech column. If anyone else is interested, here are some tips for that type of column.

Biggest difference from this column and race recap is perspective. Here, you can write in the first person (we, I, our, their) and in race recaps, it's more of a fly-on-the-garagewall, third person account of what happened.

When writing it, these are the questions you must answer for anyone to take notice. If you do, I can turn it into a story from there, but these are good tips to keep in mind in general:

Who cares?:

What part is it?

What does it help?

What’s it made of?

Why it works?

Why I would need it?

How does it install?

What do I gain?

What’s it cost me?

Here’s an example (and I’m not a tech guy, I just like working with my hands, so I may get some of the wording wrong):

We here at EC feel the safest start to any lawnmower build is the steering. With that in mind, X years ago we put our heads together and blueprinted what we feel is the safest frontend on the market.
            Our frontend is fully-adjustable, which means that no matter which track you visit, you can rest easy that with a three-quarter wrench and two jackstands, you can tweak your setup for any style of racing.
            Our frontends are made with XX-gauge metal, and our performance spindles offer the best in all-around performance. The high-speed bearings are packed to perfection ….
            When we set out making our frontends, we had to answer these questions to ourselves before we offered them to you, the racer: How do I turn better and quicker, and how do I ensure my butt stays on the seat without a squirrely front end.
            Well, we think we did.
            You can bolt our frontends on, or weld them, and once you’re installed, you’re legal for any ARMA or US race across North America.
            Folks may scoff at the price ($250), but they’re proven winners.
            The Akerman tests show you can pivot anywhere and apply any amount of horses you want, and off she’ll go and should stick in any corner.

Well, I guess that’s a start. If you need any help, let me know.
Founder and Editor
Mowmentum Magazine
www.mowmentumonline.com

anything