Author Topic: Budget race prep  (Read 3272 times)

Offline Skeeter Dewgun

• View Profile
Budget race prep
« on: September 01, 2009, 09:19:49 pm »
I have a peerless 500 transmission.Im going to put it in my wizard to replace the stock foote and i was wondering what i have to do to make this thing last. I thought about cleaning it up puting a seal in it puttin 90w in it and runnin it that way. But if theirs other cheap things i can do please tell me. Im just asking because i only make 32 bucks a week (15yo) and im tryin to build my mower on that budget. Im gonna post pic of the mower once its done. that should be in a few weeks.
Were not just gonna let you walk out of here. Who's we sucker? Smith&Wesson and me.

-Clint Eastwood

Offline matts mowing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Budget race prep
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 09:50:07 pm »
i feel the same way, if you lose a gear dont keep going stop and replace the gear and make sure there isnt any metal shavings left, i still have the stock rear in my craftsman, i have put at least 50 miles on it at 20 mph racing speeds and it seems to be holding, just keep a spare on so when it does go you can just put it in, good place to get rearends is the local junkyard, i get mine for $5.00, my mower is built on a budget around $200.00
matt will  #40
sportsman, super sportsman neplarma
450 pro class mod (quads)

Offline Skeeter Dewgun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 09:29:53 pm »
Any other input on this topic.
Were not just gonna let you walk out of here. Who's we sucker? Smith&Wesson and me.

-Clint Eastwood

Offline flyinBranch

• AHLMR ACP
  • Turf Warrior
  • AHLMR Local chapter president
    • View Profile
    • American Heartland LawnMower Racers
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 12:04:52 am »
use good oil in it!
Live like a legend, Ride like a cowboy, Party like a rock star.
Larry Benning #36X

Offline jerb

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 01:00:10 am »
yes the 500 is a pretty good tranny, you can get an input seal for a 700 and it will fit the 500, yes use some gear lube in it, do not abuse it and it will last, also the input bushing support that EC sell for around $18 will go a long way in making the tranny live, again it fits the 500 as it does the 700 series, although from what i have seen it fits pretty tight in that bushing, a friend of mine had to basically lap the bushing onto his 500, but works well!
and when and if you come across a 700, its a bolt in swap!!
Tim Jerby
2010 round 2 monster energy drink mod-x champion
2009 mowfast mod-x champion
2009 mowfast sportsman runner-up
Coming soon...super mod twin!

anything