Author Topic: Craftsman 2 questions  (Read 2765 times)

Offline marcritter

• View Profile
Craftsman 2 questions
« on: July 31, 2009, 08:38:35 pm »
I have a mower I am going to starting as soon as i finish my house (wife rules). But I don't know where to start because am not sure about the tranny and the motor are they good or not. Its a craftsman 2 gt 6000 with a Kohler magnum 18. It has a 6 speed (3 speed with a low high). I'm thinking its a v twim flat head but with all the protective covering around the motor its hard to tell for me whether its opposed or  v twin. Model number is 917.255950. I think its a '91. any body who could help would be greatly Appreciated.        sorry i want to race it I'm thinking about C/P class.
-                                             -Thanks Marc
Marc Ritter
Yuba City Ca
We do it in the dirt

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
Re: Craftsman 2 questions
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 03:29:28 pm »
Although I have seen some raced, thats a very big, heavy chassis. Add to that the horizontal opposed twin engine, and the monster transaxle, its not of much use. Not saying you could not make one heck of a racer out of it, but not much in the way of parts for you there!

By the way, all v-twins are Over Head Valve engines, not flatheads. Opposed twins, like yours, are flat head engines.
Those do make great "Utility" mowers though, and many of us would love to have one for that purpose, so before you get too far, maybe you could swap it for a better racing platform! Where are you located, lol, I may just know of a guy with a pasture full of good racing chassis looking for one of those Big Brutes!
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline DanW

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 03:55:24 pm »
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3019/2636618595_cd93780cb4_o.jpg

Look like that?  What does the box (frame) look like on it?  Is there a top cover plate that bolts to 2 vertical sides or is it a box bolted to the top of an MTD pan style?  If it's a pan chassis I'd say go ahead.  Last year I built and ran an Sears with a complete box frame.  There was no flat part to bolt anything to.. the only "frame" was the 2 vertical sides.  It made mounting a gearbox kind of a pain since it was just kind of floating in between the frame sides.

Offline marcritter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 02:54:09 pm »
yup its the same thing as the pic. The rear end has a removable back plate and a lot of room to attach a different rear end to it. i believe that there is a flat plate to mount the motor to in the front.
Marc Ritter
Yuba City Ca
We do it in the dirt

anything