Author Topic: Briggs V-Twin  (Read 3215 times)

Offline sav300

• View Profile
Briggs V-Twin
« on: July 13, 2009, 12:55:04 am »
First off I'm new and would like to say hello to all.

I have a Briggs and Stratton V-Twin thats 42CID. I am building this for the local drags and races. I would like to put a better cam in it, but can't seem to find one. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Also if you have any reccomendations as far as mods go I'm open to them. Oh and does anyone have detailed instructions for advancing the timing? I have a lot of motor knowledge, but thats with V8's and this is my first small engine build. Also I want to know your take on a tranny. I have a hydrostatic auto in mine for right now, but have no knowledge of there strength or durability. I prefer a manual 3spd or more.

Thanks for the input.

Thomas

Offline nor66

• Highly Mowtivated
  • Ron Leavitt
    • View Profile
Re: Briggs V-Twin
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 08:50:15 am »
A briggs V-twin thats 42 ci?
 Are you sure its not an opposed flathead twin?

Either way call Mike Edwards @ Precision cams (910) 251-0612 and tell him what your doing and he'll fix you up.
Ron Leavitt #2 1/2
IF IT IS DIFFICULT... We can do it!!!
IF IT IS IMPOSSIBLE... It just takes us longer!!!!

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 03:00:54 pm »
Dump the hydro -trans, they're junk.
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline Ironmike

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 06:09:36 pm »

Either way call Mike Edwards @ Precision cams (910) 251-0612 and tell him what your doing and he'll fix you up.

You should know that he needs to put better steering, kill switch, better brakes before he starts building a motor. We promote safety first on this forum.

IronMike
"Money Runs"
Iron Mike
#392 Ap

Offline nor66

• Highly Mowtivated
  • Ron Leavitt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 08:34:44 pm »
You should know that he needs to put better steering, kill switch, better brakes before he starts building a motor. We promote safety first on this forum.

IronMike

First off ... He needs to know what kind of motor he has before he can even begin to modify it. that was the point of my post.

I know Safety is important... but as this forum goes.... He posted in the engine section, and asked a question about his engine, not about brakes , steering,  etc etc... I feel that its not my job to moderate this forum, and its not my job to play safety police.

If the moderators are concerned I am sure they will take care of the problem.  If you are worried about it then you should report it to the moderators.

You guys have no idea how many people you are running off by always throwing the "what organization you run with", "what kind of upgrades have you done to the brakes, steering, etc etc" questions. People think that we are a bunch of A--holes.

You had to start somewhere, and the new guys do to!
Why don't you try helping them in a constructive manner and encourage them to do the right thing. If you continue to shut them down they will just do it without any guidance. If they are here asking questions then they are a least a little curious as to how to do it right. You just have to steer them in the right direction.

Never mind!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron Leavitt #2 1/2
IF IT IS DIFFICULT... We can do it!!!
IF IT IS IMPOSSIBLE... It just takes us longer!!!!

Offline sav300

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 10:09:16 pm »

Sorry guys I didn't make that clear. Yes its an opposed flathead twin thats 42ci. I am way past the safety set up and I have more than needed. Believe me. I have custom 4 wheel disc brakes and 2 kill switches and one fuel (both manual and auto shut off). I have direct connect steering too. I just want a little help on the motor. I'm taking it slow in this section so its done right. Thanks again.

Thomas

mmsports

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 07:02:36 am »
I would reccomend buying Don G's (g-team) dvd on this engine. It needs alot of mods just to survive the punishment of racing. Plus he gives some good tips on  how to do it yourself and not spend a ton of money.  Plus ARC racing just released a billet aluminum flywheel for this engine, and is planning to produce rods very soon.

Offline MIKE/PRECISIONCAMS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 11:02:50 pm »
This is Mike at Precision Cams.  We grind those cams all the time - should have one in stock.  Give us a call: 910-251-0612.

Offline accutune

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 11:06:51 pm »
This is Mike at Precision Cams.  We grind those cams all the time - should have one in stock.  Give us a call: 910-251-0612.
what rpm range do these cams run and what is the cost?